Patient Comments: Jet Lag - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms do you experience with jet lag?

Comment from: sarah, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

Traveled to Bora Bora in the French Polynesia from Chicago. The day I returned home (to Chicago) I had a headache, went to bed @ midnight, and didn't wake up until 2:45pm! Most likely because at 2:45 in Chicago, it's just 9:45am in the FP. My symptoms include mild sleepiness and loss of appetite. I didn't experience any jet lag at all when I arrived in the FP, so it must be losing so much time. Didn't take any meds for a headache or sleeping pills, just a LOT of water intake. Best of luck to anyone who also has jet lag!!

Comment from: CBroock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I travel to New Zealand frequently and have found that I am most affected by jetlag the next day. My symptoms include fatigue, nausea and stomach upset and just feeling out of sorts overall. I find if I drink lots of water and sports drinks, and go to bed at a reasonable hour, it helps ease those symptoms and I am usually fine for the duration of my trip.

Comment from: rangelak, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

In my 72 years I experienced yesterday seven hours jet lag traveling east. But, it pushes me backward instead forward. I woke up this morning at 4 a.m.

Comment from: SP, 35-44 Female Published: June 17

With my jetlag, I had a severe headache and confusion. When I returned home, I was repeatedly asking what day it was. I stayed up all night and slept all day. It was difficult. I flew to Cairns, Brisbane and Sydney, Australia from BWI (Baltimore-Washington International).

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

My husband and I went to Canadian Rockies for 5 days and returned 2 days ago. I went back to work the same night we came home. Now I am so sleepy and dizzy, and can't think. What are the solutions to jet lag?

Jet Lag - Remedies Question: What remedies have you found helpful for jet lag?
Jet Lag - Coping Question: In what ways do you deal or cope with jet lag? What advice would you give to someone who needs help?
Jet Lag - Melatonin Question: Have you taken melatonin supplements to prevent jet lag? How does it help?
Jet Lag - Direction of Travel Question: Do you notice a difference in jet lag symptoms depending on the direction in which you travel? If so, explain.