Jaundice in Adults Index
Jaundice (hyperbilirubinemia) in adults may be caused by a variety of medical diseases or conditions. Some cases of jaundice can be managed at home with a doctor's supervision, while other causes of jaundice may be life-threatening. Symptoms of jaundice are:
Treatment of jaundice is focused on the disease or condition that is causing jaundice.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Picture of Liver
Front View of the Liver. The liver is a large, meaty organ that sits on the right side of the belly. See a picture of the Liver...learn more »
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as:
high...learn more »
A hematoma is a collection of blood that is outside a blood vessel. There are different areas where hematomas occur including:...learn more »
In This Article
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count) Article
- Polycythemia facts
- What is polycythemia?
- What are normal ranges of hematocrit, red cell counts, and hemoglobin?
- What causes polycythemia?
- What are the causes of primary polycythemia?
- What are the common causes of secondary polycythemia?
- Can other sources of erythropoietin (EPO) cause polycythemia?
- What is relative polycythemia?
- What are the risk factors for polycythemia?
- What is stress polycythemia?
- What are the symptoms of polycythemia?
- When should I see a doctor about polycythemia?
- How is polycythemia diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for polycythemia?
- What are the complications of polycythemia?
- Can polycythemia be prevented?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for polycythemia?
In This Article
Bilirubin (Bilirubin Test) Article
- Bilirubin and blood test facts
- What is bilirubin?
- What are normal bilirubin levels in adults?
- What do high bilirubin levels in adults mean?
- What are symptoms of high bilirubin levels in adults?
- What are the symptoms of high bilirubin levels in newborns?
- What do high bilirubin levels in a newborn mean?
- What are other names for bilirubin?
- What is the treatment for elevated bilirubin in adults?
- What is the bilirubin test?
- How do I prepare for the bilirubin test?
- How is the bilirubin test performed?
- What risks are associated with the bilirubin test?
- What is the prognosis for an adult with elevated bilirubin levels?
- What is the prognosis for newborns?
- Can high levels of bilirubin be prevented?