- Psoriasis Slideshow: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
- Psoriasis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Moderate to Severe Forms of Psoriasis Slideshow
- What is ixekizumab, and how does it work?
- What brand names are available for ixekizumab?
- Is ixekizumab available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for ixekizumab?
- What are the uses for ixekizumab?
- What are the side effects of ixekizumab?
- What is the dosage for ixekizumab?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with ixekizumab?
- Is ixekizumab safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about ixekizumab?
What is ixekizumab, and how does it work?
- Ixekizumab is an injectable biologic drug that suppresses the immune system and is used for the treatment of psoriasis. It is an antibody that binds to interleukin 17A (IL-17A), a chemical produced by cells in the body that stimulates immune reactions. Scientists believe that psoriasis is caused by an increase in the production of T-lymphocytes in response to the attachment of a stimulant, such as interleukin, to the lymphocyte. Stimulated T-lymphocytes cause skin cells to grow rapidly, and the rapid growth of the skin cells produces the skin plaques of psoriasis. Ixekizumab reduces symptoms of psoriasis (inflammation and excessive production of skin cells) by attaching to IL-17A, preventing it from binding and activating T-lymphocytes.
- The FDA approved Ixekizumab in March, 2016.
What brand names are available for ixekizumab?name="brand_names">
What brand names are available for ixekizumab?
- Taltz is the brand name for ixekizumab available in the US.
Quick GuidePsoriasis Types, Images, Treatments
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.