- Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Hepatitis C Slideshow Pictures
- What is ivermectin-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for ivermectin-oral?
- Is ivermectin-oral available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for ivermectin-oral?
- What are the uses for ivermectin-oral?
- What are the side effects of ivermectin-oral?
- What is the dosage for ivermectin-oral?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with ivermectin-oral?
- Is ivermectin-oral safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about ivermectin-oral?
What is ivermectin-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Ivermectin is an anti-parasitic medication. Ivermectin works by binding to invertebrate muscle and nerve cells of parasites, causing paralysis and death of parasites. Ivermectin is active against the non-adult form of Onchocerca volvulus. Ivermectin is also active against intestinal activity of Strongyloides stercoralis. The FDA approved ivermectin in November 1996.
What brand names are available for ivermectin-oral?
Is ivermectin-oral available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for ivermectin-oral?
What are the uses for ivermectin-oral?
Ivermectin is used for intestinal infection caused by Strongyloides stercoralis. Ivermectin is also used for infections caused by non-adult form of Onchocerca volvulus. Off-label use includes treatments for head lice, blepharitis and filariasis.
What are the side effects of ivermectin-oral?
Common side effects of ivermectin are:
Other side effects include:
- Low blood pressure,
- facial swelling, and
- increased heart.
Quick GuideSymptoms of Mono: Infectious Mononucleosis Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.