- Birth Control Slideshow Pictures
- Birth Control Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Sex-Drive Killers Slideshow: Causes of Low Libido
- Birth Control Quiz FAQs
- Patient Comments: Birth Control - IUDs
- Patient Comments: Birth Control - IUD Complications
- Patient Comments: IUD (Intrauterine Device) - Experience
- Find a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
- IUD (intrauterine device) facts
- What is an IUD (intrauterine device)?
- How does an IUD work?
- What are the side effects of an IUD?
- Does an IUD cause pain?
- What are warning signs and symptoms of possible complications from an IUD?
- What are the advantages of an IUD? How effective is an IUD?
- What are the types of IUDs (ParaGard, Mirena, Skyla)?
- Who can use an IUD?
- How is an IUD inserted?
- How soon does an IUD start working?
- How long does an IUD last?
- How is an IUD removed?
- Will an IUD affect my periods?
- Will my partner feel my IUD?
- What are the risks and complications of IUDs?
- Does an IUD protect a woman from sexually transmitted infections (STDs)?
Quick GuideBirth Control Methods, Side Effects, Effectiveness
What are the side effects of an IUD?
Side effects of the IUD are limited primarily to the uterus and depend upon the type of IUD that is inserted. The copper IUD may cause worsening of menstrual cramps and heavier menstrual bleeding, although hormonal IUDs usually reduce menstrual flow. Women with hormonal IUDs may have irregular periods and spotting, particularly in the first three to six months.
It is also possible for the IUD to pass through (perforate) the uterine wall and enter the abdominal cavity, where it must be retrieved surgically. Perforation of or trauma to the uterus by the IUD occurs in one to three per 1,000 insertions.
Does an IUD cause pain?
An IUD does not cause pain. The insertion procedure is done in a doctor's office and may cause a brief discomfort similar to menstrual cramping. An anesthetic can be injected into the cervix prior to the insertion procedure.
What are warning signs and symptoms of possible complications from an IUD?
Warning signs of possible complications from an IUD include
If a woman experiences any of these signs, she should contact a health-care professional.