Patient Comments: Itching - Cause

What was the cause of your itching?

Comment from: Modupe, Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I had a deep cut on the right leg to the ankle. It was stitched up by the first hospital I was taken to. When I didn't feel any sensation or movement of the toes, I was taken to the general hospital where surgery was carried out. I started physiotherapy three months after. I can feel sensation now but have a slight movement of the toes but can't move the feet and ankle. I am looking for a way out.

Comment from: Valihoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I surfed into a danger zone in Honolulu and scraped the top of my foot on the reef, emerging with a foot full of urchin needles and coral abrasions alike. Immediate symptoms were needle-sharp pain, redness and swelling. Local surfers soaked my foot in the hottest water and vinegar mix possible, then got out the pliers followed by grinding over the injury with a paper towel. It was excruciating. Continued the next few days with hot water and vinegar mix to reduce pain, applied triple antibiotic ointment, and took ibuprofen. Do not bandage. I did this the first night, the area continued to swell and my foot felt like it was on fire. I had a hard time sleeping the first couple days, then mild nausea, headache and stiffness followed. It's been 3 days and I feel almost normal, whew! I didn't see a doctor as I was told my body will push the needles out.

Comment from: Ogee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

For the past three years I have been having pains in the upper part of my left abdomen because of peptic ulcers. Whenever I feel hungry or whenever I overeat too I feel pain there. And whenever I feel like going to the men's room and I take long, I feel pain too.

Comment from: Lonia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I'm 63 a woman and have had itching after bathing for as long as I can remember. The quicker I put clothes on the better, sometimes jumping back in bed to cover up. Last year we went south for the winter. I do water aerobics every morning in a salt filtered pool. I shower as soon as I get out. My itching is terrible. I've tried every cream, antihistamines, and finally got steroid pills. The steroids helped, nothing else did. Now we are getting ready to go back. My dermatologist basically told me to do what I had before or quit swimming.

Comment from: Stephen, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 27

Neural allergy was the cause of my itching. I am being treated with antihistamines.

Comment from: rosie, 65-74 Female Published: June 15

Well, I have had carpal tunnel syndrome for about 25 years. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't handle it. But the last couple of months it has been real bad, my left wrist is in a lot of pain that I can't even move my hand very well. So I am having the surgery on the 22nd of June next week. I will let you know if it helps. Please wish that I have a good turnout.

Comment from: keloid itching, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have a keloid on my chest which causes me itching. l have tried all home remedies, honey, apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, but to no avail till my doctor prescribe me steroid cream. It eased the itching.

Itching - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your itching?
Itching - Associated Symptoms Question: In addition to itching, what other signs or symptoms did you experience?
Itching - Scratching Prevention Question: How do you keep from scratching an itch? Please share helpful tips and suggestions.