Patient Comments: Itching - Scratching Prevention

How do you keep from scratching an itch? Please share helpful tips and suggestions.

Comment from: pinky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I've suffered since I was a child with itchy red hives all over my body. Only recently I've found that hand gels that simply cleanse your hands actually removes the terrible itchy feeling.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I've had a keloid in the face area for about 5 years now, and it swells a little then it would go back to its normal size. From time to time I would have horrible itching. What I would do is take a small cloth towel and pour some alcohol on it, enough to soak the scar, press the cloth against the itching area and hold it there for about five minutes. No more itching! It works for me.

Comment from: Zenos, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have intense itching on my legs, arms, back of knees, breasts, etc. It's been so long, I don't really remember when it started, maybe 10 to 20 years. I take antihistamines, use all types of lotions with some success. When it is unbearable, I use ice cubes. That generally manages to soothe the area. If one cube doesn't do, two will. That's the fastest way for me to get relief. Sometimes, the pills and lotions just don't do it.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I check my allergies with a naturopath, take anti candida capsules from a health food store, go on sugar and gluten-free diet, also anti-dairy if necessary, and no MSG or aspartame. I bathe in warm water with baking soda (very effective) and apply cortisone cream for small areas. Benadryl at night helps the itch but knocks me out.

Comment from: Sara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had severe itching all over for over a year. I finally realized that it might have been associated with menopause. I had none of the other more widely known symptoms, hot flashes etc. Nevertheless I added vitamin E along with taking my daily multivitamin and this has worked for me.

Itching - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your itching?
Itching - Cause Question: What was the cause of your itching?
Itching - Associated Symptoms Question: In addition to itching, what other signs or symptoms did you experience?