Patient Comments: Itching - Associated Symptoms

In addition to itching, what other signs or symptoms did you experience?

Comment from: Patti, Female (Patient) Published: November 02

The itching started out on my stomach, it is tiny red bumps that I scratch till bleed. The rash has spread to under and on the outer sides of my breasts. My skin feels prickly, like the nerves are on top of my skin. Now within the last 3 days it has spread to my back, between my shoulder blades and just above my buttocks. It is also extremely itchy. I've used cool damp washcloths, Sarna anti-itch lotion, Curel anti-itch lotion, Benadryl, and lukewarm showers for some relief. Nothing is effective. I went to an Urgent Care and the doctor told me it was contact dermatitis, but never looked at the rash. He gave me a prescription cream that worked for a few days. Most of the bumps went away, but not for long. Now, they are back and worse than before! I've changed soaps, detergents, wearing looser clothing all to no avail. I'm at my wits end with this.

Comment from: Full time mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Last couple weeks I have noticed I have increased itching in random areas of body, around my ankles, hands, palms, back, waist, and on top of hands. I don't have hives or irritation or any flaring of skin but I scratch just enough where I leave scratch marks on my skin. It feels like something is crawling underneath skin. I try to rub but occasionally it is not enough that I end up scratching. This to me is not something normal.

Comment from: Joyce, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had cataract surgery in November 26, 2013 in the left eye and I have had continuous itching problems with it since. My doctor keeps telling me it's the membrane and he will perform laser surgery in April to correct this problem. Recently I have black spots floating around, very annoying and now there is an infection. My right eye was done in January 26, 2014 and is perfect. I keep saying it"s a defective lens but he keeps telling me no. Also the eye is always very dry.

Comment from: Caramia25, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have been taking simvastatin for some time now, and have been noticing side effects from this drug, mostly, itching of my skin on the front of my hands, the palms, on my arms, legs, feet, the tops, bottoms and sides of my feet. I am constantly scratching and breaking the skin, which is causing me to get sores on my hands, body, arms, and the tops of my feet! I was prescribed this drug before by another doctor, and now my new doctor, who was informed of this problem, put me right back on statin drugs!

Comment from: r77mm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I started with itching on forearms and hips, and then it spread to scalp, back, hips and legs. I also had blood work which came back ANA positive. I am going to a rheumatologist to see what may be going on. So tired of itching!

Comment from: Roy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

Apart from itching mites make a bump like a mosquito bite. It was confirmed as bug bites by 2 dermatologists but they could not tell me what I have. I am a 71 year old construction worker and caught them in a motel. If you see one, it looks like a grain of salt and just as hard. My wife gets bitten now and then. But they stay on me. Our house and cars have them. I have seen them and carried specimens. They say it's not insect, it's lint. No one knows what it is.

Comment from: Kat49kan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My itching started on my scalp. Then started on stomach; legs and arms. I took blood test which showed ANA was positive. Positive for what? Now heading to a rheumatologist for her to determine what's going on. It has been 6 months now and I am miserable.

Itching - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your itching?
Itching - Cause Question: What was the cause of your itching?
Itching - Scratching Prevention Question: How do you keep from scratching an itch? Please share helpful tips and suggestions.