Patient Comments: Itching - Cause

Question:What was the cause of your itching?

Comment from: STALL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I started itching about two weeks after I started the pravastatin sodium prescription. About two weeks later I could see this area slight puffed and extremely tender to touch. I contacted my doctor and was told to stop taking the medicine. The doctor said that most likely the itching would stop once medicine was out of my system. The itching and spots are still present after two months.

Comment from: young adult, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had 3 years of skin problems and rashes due to food allergies. The doctor thought it was eczema at first, but blood test showed positive for ANA (antinuclear antibodies). My weird food allergies with milk, tea and wheat was caused by a weakened immune system. I suspect this was then caused by stress, poor eating habits and an unhealthy lifestyle. I avoided specific foods for a while and now on my way to full recovery, soon I hope!

Comment from: Sidharth, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

When I go out in sun and when my body gets warm I feel an itching sensation all over my body from head to toe. It's been happening from past 2 months.

Comment from: Mercy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I don't really know what is causing my body itching, it has been itching close to 8 months. The doctor asked me to take loratadine tablet, but still it hasn't stopped, it's severe now because it itches every day and minute and I am really tired, I don't know what to do, I don't have any marks or spots up till now.

Comment from: JB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I have had uncontrollable itching for the better part of this past year. Four doctors indicated that it was excema and I was prescribed many types of hydrocortisone which relieved the itch temporarily but of course did not treat the cause. My wife read the book Wheat Belly by Wiiliam Davis and within the first 10 pages came across a reference to unexplained itching. Ah-ha! I cut WAY back on my gluten intake and the itch has virtually disappeared. When I have a sandwich, hamburger bun, pasta or a couple beer...the itch returns. Please get this out to the public as I have read about MANY people with unexplained itching and if cutting out gluten is their simple answer...hallelujah!

Comment from: jolei@comcast.net, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I developed hives, a rash, and itching because, I felt, I could not get the soap out of my clothes. After many months of visits to dermatologists and other doctors, I gave up prescription creams and lotions, etc. I have now found the answer: All that was needed was sunscreen lotion SPF 50. Apply after a shower once a day. Sleep like a log. I am in my 80s if that is pertinent.

Comment from: Aila, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I itched for a few years and not one doctor could figure it out. I had skin biopsies and was told it was psychological. The itching was so severe that I would use a fork to scratch, especially the bottoms of my feet and arms. Then I found out I had a rare liver disease called primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC), which has caused the itching. It was discovered through a liver biopsy and it incurable. I take rifampin and lorazepam at night (when the itching gets worse) use ice packs, and avoid the sun and sweating, which makes it worse. Stress triggers it, and I also have very dry skin from diabetes type 2. Sometimes, it's unbearable.

Published: December 19

I had two cortisone shots for the first time in my knees for arthritis today. I woke up itching terribly everywhere.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

At the beginning of my experience with itching, I thought it was due to changes in bath soap and that it was an allergy from the lotion I was using. Later I discovered that it was none of them as I had changed all these. Having read this information, I feel it's time I visited a doctor. Thank you so much for this free information. It is so valuable. Continue serving the masses with such information. Bless you.

Itching - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your itching?
Itching - Associated Symptoms Question: In addition to itching, what other signs or symptoms did you experience?
Itching - Scratching Prevention Question: How do you keep from scratching an itch? Please share helpful tips and suggestions.