Patient Comments: Itching - Cause

Question:What was the cause of your itching?

Comment from: Ogee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

For the past three years I have been having pains in the upper part of my left abdomen because of peptic ulcers. Whenever I feel hungry or whenever I overeat too I feel pain there. And whenever I feel like going to the men's room and I take long, I feel pain too.

Comment from: Lonia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I'm 63 a woman and have had itching after bathing for as long as I can remember. The quicker I put clothes on the better, sometimes jumping back in bed to cover up. Last year we went south for the winter. I do water aerobics every morning in a salt filtered pool. I shower as soon as I get out. My itching is terrible. I've tried every cream, antihistamines, and finally got steroid pills. The steroids helped, nothing else did. Now we are getting ready to go back. My dermatologist basically told me to do what I had before or quit swimming.

Comment from: Stephen, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 27

Neural allergy was the cause of my itching. I am being treated with antihistamines.

Comment from: keloid itching, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have a keloid on my chest which causes me itching. l have tried all home remedies, honey, apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, but to no avail till my doctor prescribe me steroid cream. It eased the itching.

Comment from: Lyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have had itchy skin for almost 9 years. After 3 years it was severe enough to start taking anti-histamine and I take half a tablet every second night and that keeps things under control not too badly. I started taking Zyrtec and they acted like a diuretic, sent me to the toilet all night, sometimes up to 6 times before I even got to sleep and they caused constipation. I changed to Cetrelief (same active ingredient) but they are much better. Of course they make me sleepy. I can't take loratadine. I have lots of allergies and just can't work out the itching. If I don't take my tablets, I itch all over including in my ears, up my nose, my eyes and in all body parts. I have had every blood test under the sun but no cause found, I am coeliac and avoid gluten.

Comment from: rosie, 65-74 Female Published: June 15

Well, I have had carpal tunnel syndrome for about 25 years. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't handle it. But the last couple of months it has been real bad, my left wrist is in a lot of pain that I can't even move my hand very well. So I am having the surgery on the 22nd of June next week. I will let you know if it helps. Please wish that I have a good turnout.

Comment from: Desmond, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 28

The location of my itching is always that of the cerumen glands, near the ridge at the entrance of the canal. Hydrocortisone cream applied carefully with a Q-tip is the treatment.

Comment from: Carolanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been suffering with body itching for months. It started with my legs, and now it is all over. My dermatologist said it was not a skin issue, but an internal medical issue. We ran all sorts of blood tests; nothing. I had surgery today on my knee. I was given strong antibiotics just prior to and after the surgery through an IV. The itching stopped! What can be causing this itching! Also, there is no rash. If this has helped anyone else please share with me!

Comment from: Johannes A Barnard, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My itching was related to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had two sessions of chemotherapy and a couple of radiation shots. I was lucky to survive.

Itching - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your itching?
Itching - Associated Symptoms Question: In addition to itching, what other signs or symptoms did you experience?
Itching - Scratching Prevention Question: How do you keep from scratching an itch? Please share helpful tips and suggestions.