Patient Comments: Itching - Treatments

Question:What treatment did you receive for your itching?

Comment from: Craig, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I suffered a traumatic work related event in 1994 which resulted in me losing my job, my family, my house and financial investments. I was in a state of deep shock and was unable to think rationally. I didn't receive immediate treatment for PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) as I didn't know how the incident had affected me. It was only during the following 20 years that I discovered a fear of the workplace and I had difficulty in keeping a job. Only in 2015 did I begin receiving psychological therapy but the damage is severe. There is also a link to my childhood.

Comment from: Dan G, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I was going 3 times a week to my dermatologist and receiving UV treatments in a booth. This worked fairly well for itching for a couple of years, however, it is no longer as effective.

Comment from: Pam J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I wanted to share my story, I have had an itching problem for 3 years. So I tried everything from creams to pills and nothing helped. So l have been getting yeast infections from some of the pills that I take and it just dawned on me that the cream that stops the itching for yeast infections maybe would stop my itching. Lo and behold, it worked! I am so happy. I used Canesten or Monistat-Derm cream, a fungal cream. I hope this helps someone else.

Comment from: Itchy Grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I had hydroxyzine HCL 10 mg tablet, Allegra 180 mg tablet and triamcinolone acetonide cream, USP 0.1% for itching. I have been like this for one month now. I went to an allergist who claims it is food, cut out all of the food that came up on the test and the itching did not stop. I went to a dermatologist and was given medication and the itching has not stopped. I am having difficulty sleeping and feel miserable with this itch.

Comment from: Don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I itched for several months and I don't know why it started. I finally visited a dermatologist and he began giving me steroid shots every 8 weeks and it has helped tremendously. The problem is that the shots thins my skin and I am prone to skin cuts if I bump into something.

Comment from: columbus buck, Published: January 14

I broke my 5th metatarsal bone on some steps and went to the hospital. They gave me a boot. I wore it for 7 weeks but it doesn't hurt where I broke the bone, it hurts in the middle of the foot and that is probably because I haven't walked on it for 7 weeks. So I guess it has to get used to weight on it, but I have to be patient. Wish me luck.

Comment from: trudi01, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

The only thing that relieved my itching was cold. I bought a chill pad for my mattress and it was awesome! I slept through the night without itching. Expensive but worth it! They are about USD 300 to 400 but work wonderfully!

Comment from: NURSE, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: August 11

I've been exposed to poison ivy and sumac from camping for past 2 years requiring steroids and creams. Then this year there was no camping, but I had questionable rash on face only after eating Thai food that had sulfamides in it and the only thing I was allergic to was sulfa from ABT for urinary tract infection 15 years ago. I was seen by a doctor and placed on 3 day course of prednisone and topical cream hydrocortisone 1%, then rash started spreading 3 days later to breast folds and abdomen. I was then seen by dermatologists and placed on stronger steroid topical and 9 additional days of prednisone in 3 day segments lower doses and I instantly started seeing improvement. I am noting once body is exposed to poison ivy, it makes it supersensitive if more episodes occur. My dog has been treated for skin rashes too that last year with spray and Benadryl to this year special medication orally that is in high demand. Key word - as soon as you feel itch and are sensitive, wash area immediately and if no improvement, get seen by doctor for earliest treatment.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

Wetting the itching areas with vinegar, especially the red vinegar, gave me quick relief from itching. I afterwards used a Cortizone cream.

Itching - Cause Question: What was the cause of your itching?
Itching - Associated Symptoms Question: In addition to itching, what other signs or symptoms did you experience?
Itching - Scratching Prevention Question: How do you keep from scratching an itch? Please share helpful tips and suggestions.