Patient Comments: Itching - Treatments

Question:What treatment did you receive for your itching?

Comment from: Pam J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I wanted to share my story, I have had an itching problem for 3 years. So I tried everything from creams to pills and nothing helped. So l have been getting yeast infections from some of the pills that I take and it just dawned on me that the cream that stops the itching for yeast infections maybe would stop my itching. Lo and behold, it worked! I am so happy. I used Canesten or Monistat-Derm cream, a fungal cream. I hope this helps someone else.

Comment from: Itchy Grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I had hydroxyzine HCL 10 mg tablet, Allegra 180 mg tablet and triamcinolone acetonide cream, USP 0.1% for itching. I have been like this for one month now. I went to an allergist who claims it is food, cut out all of the food that came up on the test and the itching did not stop. I went to a dermatologist and was given medication and the itching has not stopped. I am having difficulty sleeping and feel miserable with this itch.

Comment from: Don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I itched for several months and I don't know why it started. I finally visited a dermatologist and he began giving me steroid shots every 8 weeks and it has helped tremendously. The problem is that the shots thins my skin and I am prone to skin cuts if I bump into something.

Comment from: NURSE, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: August 11

I've been exposed to poison ivy and sumac from camping for past 2 years requiring steroids and creams. Then this year there was no camping, but I had questionable rash on face only after eating Thai food that had sulfamides in it and the only thing I was allergic to was sulfa from ABT for urinary tract infection 15 years ago. I was seen by a doctor and placed on 3 day course of prednisone and topical cream hydrocortisone 1%, then rash started spreading 3 days later to breast folds and abdomen. I was then seen by dermatologists and placed on stronger steroid topical and 9 additional days of prednisone in 3 day segments lower doses and I instantly started seeing improvement. I am noting once body is exposed to poison ivy, it makes it supersensitive if more episodes occur. My dog has been treated for skin rashes too that last year with spray and Benadryl to this year special medication orally that is in high demand. Key word - as soon as you feel itch and are sensitive, wash area immediately and if no improvement, get seen by doctor for earliest treatment.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

Wetting the itching areas with vinegar, especially the red vinegar, gave me quick relief from itching. I afterwards used a Cortizone cream.

Comment from: Shadow, (Patient) Published: March 17

I've been itching terribly for the past month and a half and I've been given steroids, Benadryl and hydrazine, and none of these has worked. I've tried sensitive skin shampoos and body wash as well as hydrating lotions and nothing is working.

Comment from: shreya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have itching for a long time, in fact since almost a year. I went to dermatologist and my itch was relieved for some time but after medicines finished it began again. I have tried several medicines but there is no relief from my itchiness.

Comment from: teri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had an old wound on my foot that would not heal all the way. Several bumps came up on the foot and began to itch horribly. I could not get any relief until I used Cortizone 10. It relieved the itch and helped so much.

Comment from: ahsan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I have itching on my legs, between the legs, head, hand, and face but there is no mark on my body. When I use anti-allergy medicine then it relieves me from itching for 2 to 3 days.

Comment from: verostar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

It started with my daughter. She had a rash I believe on her hand and after a few weeks she was itching in other places on her body such as top of her feet, belly, ankles and back or sides of her armpits. It's been 6 months and 4 doctors later with no answers. I took her to dermatologist but still she has no relief. The weird thing is that I started to itch in all the same places and my new boyfriend started to itch a couple weeks ago. I went back to the dermatologist and told her what was going on, she still doesn't believe it's contagious. She says my daughter has severely dry skin, eczema, pruritus, but why am I itching! The medicines are not working. We have no lesions or marks other than the ones we got from scratching so much and they are small scabs. It's not scabies or bed bugs etc.

Itching - Cause Question: What was the cause of your itching?
Itching - Associated Symptoms Question: In addition to itching, what other signs or symptoms did you experience?
Itching - Scratching Prevention Question: How do you keep from scratching an itch? Please share helpful tips and suggestions.