Patient Comments: Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Symptoms

What were your child's symptoms associated with IBS?

Comment from: hikikomoriwithibs, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

My IBS began when I was child (adolescence) in junior high school. At first, my folks had thought that I had some chronic intestinal disease. But after countless doctors and visits to "naika" (internal medicine department), we were finally able to arrive at the conclusion that the diagnosis has to be IBS-D. I am now 23. I still have IBS, and I have tried several medications here in Japan. One that seems to work a bit is dicyclomine. I have always had some bowel incontinence, and I've has a few not-so-good, not-so-few public bowel accidents. Unfortunately, I still do sustain some accidents even today.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of your child's IBS?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to an IBS diagnosis for your child?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment is your child receiving for his/her IBS?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Diet Question: What foods trigger IBS in your child? Please share your experience.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Probiotics Question: Does your child take probiotics to control his/her IBS? What dietary changes have you made?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children - Mental Health Therapy Question: Has your child benefited from talk therapy/counseling? Please share your experience.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors