Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children Index
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with symptoms of abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea or constipation. The cause of IBS is unknown, however, certain foods, stress, anxiety, and depression may contribute to the symptoms of IBS. There is no cure for IBS in children; however, medications, dietary changes, and stress management may relieve symptoms.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...learn more »
In This Article
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding) Article
- Rectal bleeding (blood in stool) facts
- What does rectal bleeding (blood in stool) mean?
- What are causes of blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)?
- What diseases and conditions can cause blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)?
- Anal fissures
- Colon cancer and polyps
- Colitis and proctitis
- Meckel's diverticulum
- Rare causes of rectal bleeding
- What kind of doctor treats rectal bleeding?
- When should I call a doctor for blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)?
- How is the cause of blood in the stool (rectal bleeding) diagnosed?
- History and physical examination
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Radionuclide scans
- Visceral angiogram
- Video capsule and small intestine endoscopy
- MRI and CT tomographic angiography
- Nasogastric tube aspiration
- Blood tests
- What is the treatment for rectal bleeding (blood in the stool)?
- Can rectal bleeding (blood in the stool) be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of rectal bleeding (blood in the stool)?
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...learn more »
In This Article
- Diarrhea facts
- What is diarrhea?
- What is the definition of diarrhea?
- What symptoms are associated with diarrhea?
- What are common causes of acute diarrhea?
- Traveler's diarrhea
- Viral gastroenteritis
- Bacterial enterocolitis
- Food poisoning
- What are common causes of chronic diarrhea?
- What kind of a doctor treats diarrhea?
- When should the doctor be called for diarrhea?
- How is the cause of diarrhea diagnosed?
- What home remedies help the symptoms of diarrhea?
- What medications are used to treat diarrhea?
- When should antibiotics be used for diarrhea?
- What are the complications of diarrhea?
- How can dehydration be prevented and treated?
- What about treatment of diarrhea in infants and young children?
- What about treating diarrhea in older children and adults?
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....learn more »