Patient Comments: Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your irritable bowel syndrome established?

Comment from: Positive, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) today after the doctor did a colonoscopy a week ago. It has been 1 year and 2 months that I have been struggling with pain going in and out of hospital.

Comment from: Miller, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

After several MRIs, Barium tests, X-Rays, and ultrasounds (including a gynecological ultrasound), I was told I had irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). I have had it now for three years and never get relief. I have had a chronic stomach ache since then. I go from diarrhea to constipation (hospitalized for three days once as I was full of poop). I always have a stomach ache. I am usually bloated, tired, and fearful of travelling. I cannot play with my kids properly. I have been given no real medication to try. I have been taking Metamucil and laxatives for a year now. I also have sharp pain in my right side, and I cannot sleep on any side any longer. I feel like I am being poked by something on my right side. I had my gallbladder removed seven years ago, and they think that is scar tissue. I wish someone could figure this thing out!

Comment from: paintbyno, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have had problems with diarrhea, stomach pain, nausea and gas for many years. I have had ultra sounds, MRI's, and blood tests the whole gambit. My physician said a good guess would be an over active intestine since all my tests results were negative for any diseases. I was on Asacol and found relief for two years, but then developed pancreatitis from it. Now I am at the end of the road. No medicines are left available to me. All my symptoms have returned and it is very difficult to live a normal life. Besides knowing where every bathroom is located at every moment, I have eliminated lactose, high fructose corn syrup, and any sugars ending in -ose from my diet. If I dare drink coffee, I use a diluted formula of 25% coffee to 75% hot water and add 2 tsp. of benefiber. If I travel, I take Imodium the night before I leave. I am also using 'Digestive Advantage-IBS', a pro biotic capsule. I am now looking into immune system products. I don't know if stress has caused symptoms or if the symptoms caused my stress. Last advice, find a good doctor.

Comment from: cbriget, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was diagnosed with IBS about 3 years ago, after approximately 4 prior years of dealing with it. I have had no testing. I have, at my doctor's advice, tried many different types of diets. None of these helped. My doctor has tried several different medications and not one has helped. My doctor has basically said he can not do anything else to help. My doctor also stated that is will get better in time, a long time. I have just learned to adapt, I eat only at home because know I will be running for the bathroom soon after I eat on most days. Some days are not so bad. It is embarrassing to have this problem and I can not go out to eat with my family without finding a bathroom and hoping it will be empty as soon as I eat. I avoid eating in any social situation if possible. I have tried eating and not eating certain foods to no avail. I honestly have just given up on getting any relief.

Comment from: califcrickette, Female Published: March 23

It seems my stomach has always been an issue for me. I had three ulcers by age 13. However, over the years, the ulcers would come and go with life's stresses. Around 10 years ago, I realized something was different. I was told I had IBS. I lived with it like we all seem to be doing. On a family trip to Disneyland a few years back, my daughter-in-law told me she had the same problem, mostly constipation. She was taking Hyoscyamine sulfate, 0.125 mg. I have been using it for years now. Hey, it does work most of the time. I have no idea what the long-term usage is. I just know that this has been the only thing that has helped besides a super great veggie diet. That really does work the best. I have no motivation, nor the money to go that direction at the moment. Anyway, it is something that does work for me. Best of luck to all of us bloated ones!

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of IBS diagnosed?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective to treat your case of IBS?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Diet Question: What dietary changes have you made that have improved your case of IBS?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating your symptoms of IBS?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with IBS? What foods seem to trigger IBS episodes?