Patient Comments: Iron Overload - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms and signs with your hemochromatosis (iron overload)?

Comment from: Thuthula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I'm having an eye problem and it's been three months now. I am having a lump on my lower lid of my eye. I don't know what I should use to make the chalazion disappear; it's painless but itchy.

Comment from: paul, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 07

My husband has hemochromatosis and his legs have bright red large spots and scabs on them. They are very dry and they bleed.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis (iron overload) 8 years ago and now in maintenance phase. I experience awful joint pains particularly at the end of the day. I'd hoped on iron depletion this would improve but it hasn't.

Comment from: Dan Smith, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 45 and just got diagnosed with hemochromatosis. I have had some stomach problems that started in my mid-twenties. My doctor could not figure it out. It was the ND (naturopathic doctor) that ordered the proper tests and found out. I was able to live with the stomach problems for a while, but over the last couple years, my joints have been getting stiffer and stiffer. It hurts to do almost anything, yet I still do get to the gym twice a week. I am hoping I can find some dietary solutions to this before the iron builds up more and I get sicker.

Comment from: Frenchie1973, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis a year ago. I am a 41 year old female. I have 2 of the three possible genes. I inherited one from each of my parents. I found out because, I went to the doctor because I had gained tons of weight and was having horrible migraines. Routine bloodwork found the iron overload. I was sent for a ferritin test. My levels are about 1500 right now. I experience extreme fatigue, joint pain, chest pain, I am starting to see skin bronzing, and I have a lot of kidney, liver and neck pain. So far testing has revealed my parents and siblings to be free of the disease. My children are still too young to be tested.

Comment from: mel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

A week ago the calf muscles on my right leg collapsed while walking home. I sat on a bench nearby because I could not step on the leg. I rested for about 5 minutes then limped badly to my home about 300 meters away. I still limp slightly but am able to walk slowly. I notice that the calf muscles are hard and I use Bengay at times, and at times ice. But the muscles remain stiff and hard, more than the muscles on my left calf.

Comment from: amg, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 03

My son's iron is 1900, has been 3900. We are having to wait for the gastroenterologist to write the order to be bled. I wonder if there can be a connection between high iron (hemochromatosis) and migraines. My son came home today almost blind with a migraine (not the first one). We have just been concerned with the liver.

Comment from: Bev, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have high iron (hemochromatosis) but suffer little as my levels are around 366. The hematologist wants to do a watch and see. For a different problem, a doctor wanted me on Neurontin for pain but I looked up the medicine against his advice. I decided it might kill me. I am so glad I did not get on it. I have read so much bad!

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My husband had a heart attack in his mid-50s and was diagnosed with hemochromatosis. He simply donates blood regularly to control it. I warned his brother of his potential for having the disease, but was ignored. He died 4 years ago of a massive heart attack in his sleep. I recently found out that my daughter, in her mid-30s has the disease. It destroyed her thyroid. That means I am at least a carrier of the gene so all of my children have a 50/50 chance of having it, as do my husband's siblings. It is a deadly disease that is so easily treatable, I find it unbelievable that doctors don't routinely check for it.