Patient Comments: Iron Overload - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms and signs with your hemochromatosis (iron overload)?

Comment from: IronMan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I was diagnosed at age 46 with hemochromatosis because of abdominal pain which led to colon resection. Now I am 64 and have had both hips replaced, both big toe joints replaced, and am about to have both index finger joints replaced. Fatigue and pain are now a daily routine. The routine is typically pain so bad that I can't function. Ankles and knees are now giving me problems. I was active duty military (USN) for nearly 24 years and I did not take my iron overload condition that seriously. So either I just put it off or I did not have the opportunity to get proper and consistent phlebotomies due to being deployed. My strongest advice is to get your iron under control and keep meticulous records.

Comment from: Thuthula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I'm having an eye problem and it's been three months now. I am having a lump on my lower lid of my eye. I don't know what I should use to make the chalazion disappear; it's painless but itchy.

Comment from: paul, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 07

My husband has hemochromatosis and his legs have bright red large spots and scabs on them. They are very dry and they bleed.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis (iron overload) 8 years ago and now in maintenance phase. I experience awful joint pains particularly at the end of the day. I'd hoped on iron depletion this would improve but it hasn't.

Comment from: Dan Smith, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 45 and just got diagnosed with hemochromatosis. I have had some stomach problems that started in my mid-twenties. My doctor could not figure it out. It was the ND (naturopathic doctor) that ordered the proper tests and found out. I was able to live with the stomach problems for a while, but over the last couple years, my joints have been getting stiffer and stiffer. It hurts to do almost anything, yet I still do get to the gym twice a week. I am hoping I can find some dietary solutions to this before the iron builds up more and I get sicker.

Comment from: grimslry, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I am the wife of someone who is type 2 diabetic he is 53 years old in stage 3 renal failure. In his last week's blood work to check A1C and cholesterol it was noticed ferritin was 1385. There is no diagnosis yet, and has several appointments in the next few weeks. However he was adopted so we don't know family history. When I looked up, it led me to hemochromatosis so it is a waiting game at this point.

Comment from: mayo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I have hemochromatosis and my ferritin was up to 1200 when your organs should shut down! I found out my vitamin D was 30 instead of above 50 (my doctor had the same D level once I mentioned it to him). My hemoglobin was at 17.5 and should be at 13, so I started dumping blood at the bank. I also had a faulty test on my bilirubin about which I argued with my doctor because there were no signs of jaundice or glucose in my urine. I even had a biopsy which said it was stage 2.

Comment from: Robert M., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

My wife and I have found that a half teaspoon of ground turmeric works great on joint pain. It's only USD 4.00 at supermarket so a cheap fix if it works for you. I have high iron (hemochromatosis), I think the thick blood from high iron caused my heart attack.

Comment from: mel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

A week ago the calf muscles on my right leg collapsed while walking home. I sat on a bench nearby because I could not step on the leg. I rested for about 5 minutes then limped badly to my home about 300 meters away. I still limp slightly but am able to walk slowly. I notice that the calf muscles are hard and I use Bengay at times, and at times ice. But the muscles remain stiff and hard, more than the muscles on my left calf.