Patient Comments: Iron Overload - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms and signs with your hemochromatosis (iron overload)?

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Beacuase of hemocrhomatosis I experience fatigue and darker almost orange skin colour.

Comment from: binky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

After having a hysterectomy about a year and a half ago, my doctor noticed an increase in my iron when doing routine blood work. She sent me to a hematologist, I had ultrasound of my abdomen and other tests to exclude hepatitis, and received my diagnosis last Friday. I had noticed that I have been more tired than usual, and my knees are always achy.

Comment from: kim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with haemachromatosis in 1994 after my twin brother developed chest and abdominal pain which could not be attributed to cardiac or gastroenterological conditions. He was tested and came back positive. I didn't have symptoms as severe as him as I've been a blood donor since the age of 17 so the regular venesections have lowered my blood levels, but even with this I have the typical skin bronzing and joint pains in my hands and feet, in fact I have now developed osteoarthritis in the joints of my feet (all this at age 55) which is causing mobility problems. My parents were carriers and strangely enough only my twin brother and I have the full symptoms, my other brothers and sisters are carriers.