- What is iron dextran-injection, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for iron dextran injection?
- Is this drug available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for this drug?
- What are the uses for iron dextran?
- Iron dextran WARNING
- What are the side effects of iron dextran?
- What is the dosage for iron dextran, and where on the body is the injection given?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with this drug?
- Is thsi drug safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about this drug?
What is iron dextran-injection, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Iron dextran is an injectable form of iron used to treat iron-deficiency anemia, a condition in which the blood doesn't have enough healthy red blood cells because of a deficiency of available iron. It is only used to treat patients who cannot be adequately treated with oral iron supplements. Iron is an important mineral and is a necessary component of red blood cells and their ability to carry oxygen. Iron supplements replenish iron in the body and allow the transportation of oxygen.
What brand names are available for iron dextran injection?
INFeD, Pri-Dextra, and Dexferrum are the brand names available for this drug in the US.
Is this drug available as a generic drug?
No, iron dextran is not available in generic form.
Do I need a prescription for this drug?
Yes, you need a prescription from a doctor or other heatlh care professional for this medication.
What are the uses for iron dextran?
Iron dextran WARNING
Serious anaphylactic-type reactions, including death, have occurred after administration of iron dextran injection. Resuscitation equipment and trained personnel should be available during administration.Patients should be given a test dose before their first dose and monitored closely by their doctor. However, fatal reactions have followed the test dose of iron dextran injection. Fatal reactions have also occurred even when the test dose was tolerated. The risk of experiencing allergic type side effects may be higher in patients who have allergies to other drugs.
Large doses may cause delayed (1-2 days) adverse reactions such as:
The reactions start 24-48 hours after administration and symptoms generally subside within 3-4 days.Iron dextran should be used cautiously in people with liver disease and should not be used by people with kidney infections.
What are the side effects of iron dextran?
Common side effects include:
- Loose stools (diarrhea)
- Upset stomach
- Change in taste
- Pain and irritation or swelling where the injection was given
Other possible side effects include:
- Decreased white blood cell count
- Chest pain
- Low blood pressure
- High blood pressure
- Rapid heartbeat
- Slow heartbeat
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Joint pain
- Muscle pain
- Breathing problems
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.