Patient Comments: Iron Deficiency - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with your iron deficiency?

Comment from: Momof5, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

My symptoms of iron deficiency are feeling very cold all the time, depression, fatigue, restless leg, pale skin, very brittle nails, lack of concentration, and thinning hair. I also have hypothyroid and I'm pregnant.

Comment from: kfcmimi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with low iron about 8 months ago. Symptoms are restless legs syndrome (RLS), cracks in the corners of my mouth, fatigue, shortness of breath and heart palpitations. I have had 5 iron infusions within that time. Levels are still not where they should be. I have had colonoscopy and endoscopy with no evidence of bleeding.

Comment from: bojango, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I have frequent fatigue, occasional head aches and depression due to iron deficiency.

Comment from: cwilson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I noticed extreme fatigue first, followed by irritability and mood swings (could have been low vitamin D). Once I got my blood work back, I also connected the dots with my brittle nails and my inability to keep up with my exercise routine. I was getting incredibly out of breath playing volleyball even though I worked out a decent amount.

Comment from: DaiTorro14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'd suffered from iron deficiency as a college freshman. I was trying to donate blood and that's when I was told I had it. Over the summer I'd been sick. I had: headaches, felt weak, period was out of whack, and didn't feel like eating at some points. I had been tested this year via blood test and I tested positive for this condition. All my doctor said was I need to take supplements.

Comment from: marjonmotel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have been dealing with iron deficiency since 2003. I've been having one iron infusion after another. My last count was 5.4 and my iron was totally depleted, and folate was low too. I keep getting infusions then it slowly drops through the months. I am not losing blood. I had an endoscopy 4 years ago and colonoscopy. Nothing was found. I had hysterectomy. Hematology is saying its gastrointestinal (GI), GI is saying it is hematology.

Comment from: Mr.Brown, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

After having basic blood tests done I was advised by my doctor that I could possibly have an iron deficiency, but he would need to run a second set of tests to confirm. However, I do not experience any of the symptoms listed. I wonder if it is possible that it could be something else and not an iron deficiency.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

Rapid heart rate, low energy and decreased cognitive abilities were my symptoms of iron deficiency.

Iron Deficiency - Detection Question: How was your iron deficiency detected?
Iron Deficiency - Treatment Question: If you have an iron deficiency, what type of treatment or supplements do you take?
Iron Deficiency - Pregnant Women Question: If you are pregnant with an iron deficiency, please discuss how it was detected and is being treated.
Iron Deficiency - Diet Question: Which iron-rich foods have you added to your diet? Have you noticed a difference in the way you feel?