Patient Comments: Iron Deficiency - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with your iron deficiency?

Comment from: bojango, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I have frequent fatigue, occasional head aches and depression due to iron deficiency.

Comment from: cwilson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I noticed extreme fatigue first, followed by irritability and mood swings (could have been low vitamin D). Once I got my blood work back, I also connected the dots with my brittle nails and my inability to keep up with my exercise routine. I was getting incredibly out of breath playing volleyball even though I worked out a decent amount.

Comment from: DaiTorro14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'd suffered from iron deficiency as a college freshman. I was trying to donate blood and that's when I was told I had it. Over the summer I'd been sick. I had: headaches, felt weak, period was out of whack, and didn't feel like eating at some points. I had been tested this year via blood test and I tested positive for this condition. All my doctor said was I need to take supplements.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

Rapid heart rate, low energy and decreased cognitive abilities were my symptoms of iron deficiency.

Comment from: Diane23, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

With iron deficiency, I feel tired, I am falling asleep at the wheel, spacey to the point that I feel stupid and cannot concentrate. The bone aches and pains are definitely overlooked. But the symptom that is seriously overlooked, feeling really out of it, causes me to have anxiety attacks.

Comment from: Mr.Brown, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

After having basic blood tests done I was advised by my doctor that I could possibly have an iron deficiency, but he would need to run a second set of tests to confirm. However, I do not experience any of the symptoms listed. I wonder if it is possible that it could be something else and not an iron deficiency.

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 16

I have been exhausted for months, eating ice constantly and no memory.

Comment from: Abby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

My nurse practitioner checked my iron and ferritin levels when I told her my hair was falling out! This anemia symptom omitted in all the information I researched. We have surmised it is from my frequent blood donations.

Comment from: maj, 0-2 Published: July 23

A symptom that is overlooked includes body pain...sometimes a tingling in the extremities--arms, legs and overall body pain. Why is this symptom neglected?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

Tired, weak and shortness of breath. Turns out I am severely anemic with a very low Iron level.

Comment from: SCCntryboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I noticed a lack of energy, but, chalked it up to being lazy and overweight.

Iron Deficiency - Detection Question: How was your iron deficiency detected?
Iron Deficiency - Treatment Question: If you have an iron deficiency, what type of treatment or supplements do you take?
Iron Deficiency - Pregnant Women Question: If you are pregnant with an iron deficiency, please discuss how it was detected and is being treated.
Iron Deficiency - Diet Question: Which iron-rich foods have you added to your diet? Have you noticed a difference in the way you feel?