Iron and Iron Deficiency (cont.)
Iron Overload and Hemochromatosis
Iron overload is the accumulation of excess iron in body tissues. Hemochromatosis is the disease resulting from significant iron overload. Hemochromatosis can have genetic and non-genetic causes.
Medically reviewed by Rambod Rouhbakhsh, MD, MBA, FAAFP; American Board of Family Medicine
SOURCE: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Iron and Iron Deficiency. Last update: 3/30/2004
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Iron deficiency – United
States, 1999–2000. MMWR 2002;51:897–899.
- Akman M, Cebeci D, Okur V, Angin H, Abali O, Akman AC. The effects of iron
deficiency on infants' developmental test performance. Acta Paediatr. 2004
- Friel JK, Aziz K, Andrews WL, Harding SV, Courage ML, Adams RJ. A double-masked, randomized control trial of iron supplementation in early
infancy in healthy term breast-fed infants. J Pediatr. 2003 Nov;143(5):582–6.
- Lozoff B, De Andraca I, Castillo M, Smith JB, Walter T, Pino P. Behavioral
and developmental effects of preventing iron-deficiency anemia in healthy
full-term infants. Pediatrics. 2003 Oct;112(4):846–54.
- Grantham-McGregor S, Ani C. A review of studies on the effect of iron
deficiency on cognitive development in children. J Nutr. 2001
Feb;131(2S–2):649S–666S; discussion 666S–668S.
- Ronnenberg AG, Wood RJ, Wang X, Xing H, Chen C, Chen D, Guang W, Huang A,
Wang L, Xu X. Preconception hemoglobin and ferritin concentrations are
associated with pregnancy outcome in a prospective cohort of Chinese women. J Nutr. 2004 Oct;134(10):2586–91.
- Scholl TO, Hediger ML, Fischer RL, Shearer JW. Anemia vs iron deficiency:
increased risk of preterm delivery in a prospective study. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992
- Brownlie T 4th, Utermohlen V, Hinton PS, Haas JD. Tissue iron deficiency
without anemia impairs adaptation in endurance capacity after aerobic training
in previously untrained women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Mar;79(3):437–43.
- Haas JD, Brownlie T 4th. Iron deficiency and reduced work capacity: a
critical review of the research to determine a causal relationship. J Nutr. 2001
Feb;131(2S–2):676S–688S; discussion 688S–690S.
- Bruner AB, Joffe A, Duggan AK, Casella JF, Brandt J. Randomised study of
cognitive effects of iron supplementation in non-anaemic iron-deficient
adolescent girls. Lancet. 1996 Oct 12;348(9033):992–6.
- US National Library of Medicine, NIH. Iron deficiency anemia.
- Office of Dietary Supplements, NIH. Dietary supplement fact sheet.
Available online: http://dietary-
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/14/2014
Viewers share their comments
Iron Deficiency - Signs and Symptoms
Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with your iron deficiency?
Iron Deficiency - Detection
Question: How was your iron deficiency detected?
Iron Deficiency - Treatment
Question: If you have an iron deficiency, what type of treatment or supplements do you take?
Iron Deficiency - Pregnant Women
Question: If you are pregnant with an iron deficiency, please discuss how it was detected and is being treated.
Iron Deficiency - Diet
Question: Which iron-rich foods have you added to your diet? Have you noticed a difference in the way you feel?