Patient Comments: Iritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with iritis.

Comment from: peace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was 10 years old when I had started going to ophthalmologist and was told that I will be very sensitive to light, and needed to be followed by ophthalmologist. After so many health issues that health professionals puzzled over the years, an ophthalmologist wrote a letter to medical doctors about the importance of diagnosing me as soon as possible, if not, that I may lose my sight. He said it looks like it is some autoimmune system issue. This week same ophthalmologist has diagnosed me with iritis. I am 52 now, and have been through a lot. He called my rheumatologist and told her his diagnosis which may help in diagnosing the main issue. They have known it some autoimmune problem but all these years doesnt show up on test.

Comment from: Daraz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am on my 3rd bout of Iritis. I caught this one very early and my eye doctor placed me on a strong steroid during the last bout, and that was the worst! My symptoms are redness and pain when touching my eyelid. I actually have a high pain tolerance, so the first two times I delayed treatment. This time I knew the signs and went straight in for treatment. I have confidence this episode will resolve quickly. I am most worried because now I require work up for autoimmune disease. My mother has two of these diseases and I had hoped (and still do) that my iritis is a fluke. The worst part about it is walking around with one eye dilated. I'm in healthcare and not only do I look like a freak, but everyone thinks I'm having a stroke!

Comment from: Iritis2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I was diagnosed with iritis in my left eye at 38. The next time was both eyes which they said was rare. My symptoms were pain if I touched my eye and a little blurry vision. I have had glasses for 40 years and am very picky about my vision. I get new glasses at least every 2 years the smallest change bothers me. I got the drops to dilate my pupil and as the doctor told me my eye is a muscle and the pupil dilates in dark gets smaller in light, therefore keeping it dilated is like putting a cast or sling on to stop movement of your muscle to let it heal. I did have a test for rheumatoid arthritis (it was negative), because my hands were falling asleep at night and very painful when I woke, or sometimes drying my hair it would happen. It hasn't happened again for ten years, now just cataract in left eye.

Comment from: clearwatercrusher, Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I think my iritis was caused by getting something in my eye. I went to the doctor two days later and he prescribed me sulphacetamide which is an antibiotic eye drops. This also could have caused it. Then two days later I went to my eye doctor and found that I had iritis. He is treating it with steroid drops every hour and a pupil enlargement drug three times a day, to break the pupil loose from its fixed position. It broke most of it loose but the pupil is still stuck in spot. Now he has prescribed me a stronger dilating drug.

Comment from: Clare, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had iritis twice in the same eye. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and I know it is connected to that. It left some damage to my eye some 10 years ago. The first time I had it a white film came over my eye and it came on overnight. On this occasion there has been no white film, just blurred vision. I have been given drops for a two week period. I hope within the two weeks it clears up. I will be back at the hospital in three weeks. The first time I had it, it went as quick as it came once treated.

Comment from: alahmetih, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

With iritis I have painful eyes, red and very bloody, sensitive to touch and light, and stabbing pain behind the eye as if the eye is going to fall out of its sockets.

Comment from: Glitterqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I got iritis 14 years ago and I had cartoon eyes, my tears were spurting out like a fountain and I could not see, but I had no pain. I got it again 7 years later but recognized the signs this time and went straight to the eye pavilion who treated me for weeks to make sure there was no damage. There is no reason for me catching this, I was/am healthy.

Iritis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your iritis?
Iritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your iritis?
Iritis - Causes Question: What caused your iritis?