Patient Comments: Iritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with iritis.

Comment from: clearwatercrusher, Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I think my iritis was caused by getting something in my eye. I went to the doctor two days later and he prescribed me sulphacetamide which is an antibiotic eye drops. This also could have caused it. Then two days later I went to my eye doctor and found that I had iritis. He is treating it with steroid drops every hour and a pupil enlargement drug three times a day, to break the pupil loose from its fixed position. It broke most of it loose but the pupil is still stuck in spot. Now he has prescribed me a stronger dilating drug.

Comment from: Clare, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had iritis twice in the same eye. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and I know it is connected to that. It left some damage to my eye some 10 years ago. The first time I had it a white film came over my eye and it came on overnight. On this occasion there has been no white film, just blurred vision. I have been given drops for a two week period. I hope within the two weeks it clears up. I will be back at the hospital in three weeks. The first time I had it, it went as quick as it came once treated.

Comment from: Glitterqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I got iritis 14 years ago and I had cartoon eyes, my tears were spurting out like a fountain and I could not see, but I had no pain. I got it again 7 years later but recognized the signs this time and went straight to the eye pavilion who treated me for weeks to make sure there was no damage. There is no reason for me catching this, I was/am healthy.

Comment from: Relieved, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I thought I had something in my eye and the next day it got worse from the flashes of a camera. I took out my contact lenses and my eye was so red and so sensitive to the light and gave me the worst headache. I went to the doctor the next day she said it was an abrasion. I got some eye drops, felt a little relief, went outside for a minute and my eye was in so much pain again and I got a headache. Finally I went to the emergency room and they sent me to the specialist and it was iritis and uveitis (no abrasion). I have to keep my eyes dilated for a couple of days and use prednisone acetate drops every hour I"m awake. I also did some blood work I have a follow up in two days this has been the worst pain of my life!

Comment from: Meeting Place, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have severe redness of the eye, itching, and some very sharp pain. I had a cataract removed two weeks ago, and I was told last week I now have iritis. I also have sensitivity to light. On a bright sunny day I can hardly stand for the light to hit my eye, and the same with the lamp or electric lights in the house.

Comment from: alahmetih, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

With iritis I have painful eyes, red and very bloody, sensitive to touch and light, and stabbing pain behind the eye as if the eye is going to fall out of its sockets.

Comment from: Arlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I was diagnosed with Iritis of the eye after being seen in the emergency room with sharp shooting pains in the eye which was red, watering and so sensitive to light that I could not stand it. I was being treated for conjunctivitis, with a follow up in 2 days. I did get some relief, but then was referred to an ophthalmologist and got the right diagnosis, now I am on steroid drops plus a drop for dilating the pupil.

Comment from: Maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

My doctor thought at first I had pink eye! I did not believe him so I walked into an eye clinic and from there I saw 2 different eye surgeons. They both agree I have Iritis due to my rheumatoid arthritis which I inherited from my father! So now I am on a steroid every day! One drop a day in the one eye! I have been on this drop for 4 years now! It is the only thing that works now! I have tried numerous drugs and none worked, the drop once a day seems to work!

Iritis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your iritis?
Iritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your iritis?
Iritis - Causes Question: What caused your iritis?