- Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures
- Pink Eye Slideshow Pictures
- Eyes and Eye Conditions Quiz
- Patient Comments: Iritis - Experience
- Patient Comments: Iritis - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Iritis - Treatment
- Patient Comments: Iritis - Causes
- Find a local Eye Doctor in your town
- Iritis facts
- What is iritis?
- What causes iritis?
- What are symptoms and signs of iritis?
- How is iritis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for iritis?
- How long does iritis last?
- What are complications of iritis?
- What is the prognosis for iritis?
- What research is being done for iritis?
- Where can I find out more information about iritis?
What is the prognosis for iritis?
In most cases, iritis responds to a short course of steroid eyedrops and dilating drops. In the case of recurrences, each new episode increases the possibility of scarring, glaucoma, cataract, and other serious eye damage.
What research is being done for iritis?
The field of uveitis includes many inflammatory eye conditions, as well as iritis, and major work is ongoing. Because iritis usually responds so well to treatment, the research is primarily concerned with the management of cases which are more severe or involve the eye more extensively This work benefits our understanding of the mechanism of iritis and the treatment or it. Besides looking for more effective medications, there is also research concerned with looking for the best way of delivering medications to the eye.
Where can I find out more information about iritis?
The American Academy of Ophthalmology
The Iritis Organization
NIH: National Eye Institute
Casey Eye Institute at Oregon Health and Science University
Medically reviewed by William Baer, MD; Board Certified Ophthalmology
Diaz-Llopis, M., Galleo-Pinazo, R., Gracia-Delpech, S., Salom-Alonso, D. "General principles for the treatment of non-infectious uveitis." Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets 8.4 Sept. 2009: 260-265.
Greenberg, Robert D., Castleberry, Jerry. CURRENT Diagnosis & Treatment: Emergency Medicine. 6th ed. <http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3104572>.
Khan, A.A., Kelly, R.H., Carrim, Z.I. "Acute anterior uveitis." BMJ Aug 25, 2009: 339.
Rosenbaum, J.T. "Uveitis: etiology; clinical manifestations; and diagnosis." UpToDate. May 1, 2009. <http://www.uptodate.com>.
Vaughan, D., Asbury, T., Riordan-Eva, P. General Ophthalmology. Mc Graw-Hill, 1999.