GENERIC NAME: IPECAC - ORAL (IPP-eh-kack)
USES: Ipecac irritates the stomach and stimulates the vomiting center of the brain to cause vomiting. This medication is used to empty the stomach to treat certain poisonings or drug overdoses.
HOW TO USE: This medication should only be taken when instructed to do so by your doctor, the poison center or medical emergency personnel. In some poisoning situations, use of this medication may be harmful. Follow the administration advice given by the health care professional. The patient should be sitting upright with the head forward before giving this medication. Do not give this to a person who is incoherent or unconscious. General dosing guidelines are as follows: Children 6 months to one year old should be given 1 to 2 teaspoonfuls followed by one-half to one glass of water. Children 1 to 12 years should be given 1 tablespoonful (15 ml) followed by 1 to 2 glasses of water. Adults should be given 1 to 2 tablespoonfuls (15-30 ml) followed by 3 to 4 glasses of water. In older children and adults, a second dose may be necessary if vomiting does not occur within 20 minutes. If vomiting does not occur after taking this medication, contact your doctor or the poison control center. Have the patient vomit into a bowl, bucket or pan if possible. It is helpful to save the vomitus for inspection by a health care professional so they can determine what was swallowed or if the ipecac was effective. Take this only with water. Do not take with milk, juice or soda.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Back to Medications Index