What other names is Iodine known by?
Atomic number 53, Cadexomer Iodine, Diatomic Iodine, I2, Iode, Iode de Cadexomer, Iode Diatomique, Iode Moléculaire, Iode Mono-atomique, Iode de Povidone, Iode de Sodium, Iodide, Iodized Salt, Iodure, Iodure de Potassium, Iodure de Potassium en Solution Saturée, Iodure de Sodium, KI, Lugol's Solution, Molecular Iodine, Monoatomic Iodine, Numéro atomique 53, Periodate de Sodium, Potassium Iodide, Povidone Iodine, Saturated Solution Potassium Iodide, Sel Iodé, Sodium Iodide, Sodium Iodine, Sodium Periodate, Solution de Lugol, SSKI, Yodo.
What is Iodine?
Iodine is a chemical element. People use it as medicine.
- Conditions related to too much thyroid gland activity (hyperthyroidism).
- Radiation emergency associated with the use of radioactive iodides.
- Skin infection caused by the fungus Sporothrix (cutaneous sporotrichosis).
Possibly Effective for...
- Painful, fibrous breast tissue (fibrocystic breast disease).
- Preventing soreness and swelling inside the mouth, caused by chemotherapy treatments for cancer.
- Foot ulcers associated with diabetes.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).