Patient Comments: Intussusception - Your Child's Experience

Did your child experience an intussusception? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Sachin, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My 8 month old daughter was diagnosed with ileocolic intussusception. It started with loose stools and later after two days, traces of blood and jelly like fluid. She showed no signs or symptoms of intussusception like vomiting or crying and first it was thought to be lactic intolerance loose stool. Just to be sure she was taken for an Echo. She underwent pneumatic reduction of intussusception under general anesthesia (GA). She was discharged after 24 hours but kept in observation in the PICU. Blood stains are still being traced even after 2 days of procedure which the surgeon says is normal. Review in 3 days. Will keep the medical condition and history posted.

Comment from: Sara, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

My daughter had intussusception last May at 15 months of age. The first night she vomited after drinking her milk and had mild stomach spasms which we thought were related to a stomach bug. She had difficulty having a bowel movement and the stomach pain progressed to every twenty minutes and lasted approximately 20 seconds. After these episodes she returned back to her playful self. It became so extreme we rushed her to emergency and the pediatrician had her x-rayed. She was rushed to Sick Kids, who immediately performed a procedure called an air enema after performing a scan of her stomach. She returned to normal, however there is a small percentage that it could return up until the age of 5. We replaced any milk products with goat milk in the event it was due to a lactose allergy that we suspected in prior months.

Comment from: mteacher, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am an adult and I am recovering from surgery to fix an intussusception. I can tell you that I vomited dark green bile that was grass colored, for hours and my stomach hurt much more than any labor pains I ever had with my 3 children. I had an intermittent intussusception 3 times. The last time it stayed and after about 15 hours my surgeon felt it had to be repaired. It can be deadly it is said. The surgery was painful but I feel much better now, so if your child is throwing up dark green vomit, spinach colored and has extreme stomach pain, insist on a CT scan to rule this out.

Comment from: Beth, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My daughter had intussusception 24 hours after receiving a hep A vaccine.

Intussusception - Child's Symptoms Question: What were your child's symptoms associated with an intussusception?
Intussusception - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you or your child receive for an intussusception?