Patient Comments: Intestinal Gas - Bloating Causes

For some, it's eating a certain food. What is the usual cause of your bloating (intestinal gas)?

Comment from: GOTTAGO GIRL, (Patient) Published: November 25

The cause of my severe and foul smelling gas (I mean really foul smelling gas, like making people think a dead body is in the room and start gagging) was caused by small bowel bacteria overgrowth syndrome. My body cannot keep the usual bacteria that we have to have to aid digestion and absorb vitamins, in check because I have an immunoglobulin deficiency. There is a special antibiotic (rifampin) that doesn't get digested. It stays in your bowels and helps kill enough of the bacteria to get the gas production back to normal. Of course about 3 weeks after I finish taking it I start to notice abdomen pain, bloating gas and the smell, so I have to take the medicine again.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I have had gas and flatulence since the age of 14. Cold/hot drinks, spicy foods, milk and dairy products aggravate the condition. Reducing meal portions and taking smaller portions more than 3 times, walking 40 minutes at least four times a week and drinking at least 8 glasses of water help. Taking probiotics helps also. All these steps do not however eliminate the condition totally. Periods of improvement and aggravation alternate nevertheless.

Comment from: nanaoffive, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have found drinking a glass of water with a lemon squeezed into it tops flatulence almost immediatly.

Comment from: artaware, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

Five days ago, I had a severe reaction to rice I cooked. Throughout the night, I vomited every couple of hours. I have tried drinking lots of liquids to rehydrate myself but am suffering from extreme gas and bloating that I think the severe vomiting caused. I'm wondering how to get rid of this.

Intestinal Gas - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your intestinal gas?
Intestinal Gas - Causes Question: What was the cause of your intestinal gas?
Intestinal Gas - Flatulence Causes Question: It may be embarrassing, but what is often the cause of your flatulence (intestinal gas)?