Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence) Index
Gas or "intestinal gas" means different things to different people. Everyone has gas and eliminates it by belching, burping, or farting (flatulence). Bloating is a subjective feeling that the stomach is larger or fuller than normal. While swallowed air often causes belching, foods and certain medications may also cause belching, farting, and bloating. Causes of belching or burping are drinking too rapidly, anxiety, and swallowing air. Causes of bloating include tumors, ascites, and obesity. Causes of gas or flatulence are diseases such as lactose intolerance, untreated celiac diseas, and SIBO. Treatment for excessive intestinal gas depends on the cause.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...learn more »
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...learn more »
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...learn more »
In This Article
- Diarrhea facts
- What is diarrhea?
- What is the definition of diarrhea?
- What symptoms are associated with diarrhea?
- What are common causes of acute diarrhea?
- Traveler's diarrhea
- Viral gastroenteritis
- Bacterial enterocolitis
- Food poisoning
- What are common causes of chronic diarrhea?
- What kind of a doctor treats diarrhea?
- When should the doctor be called for diarrhea?
- How is the cause of diarrhea diagnosed?
- What home remedies help the symptoms of diarrhea?
- What medications are used to treat diarrhea?
- When should antibiotics be used for diarrhea?
- What are the complications of diarrhea?
- How can dehydration be prevented and treated?
- What about treatment of diarrhea in infants and young children?
- What about treating diarrhea in older children and adults?
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....learn more »