Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence) Index
Gas (intestinal gas) means different things to different people. Everyone has gas and eliminates it by belching, burping, or farting (flatulence). Bloating
or abdominal distension is a subjective feeling that the stomach is larger or fuller than normal.
Belching or burping occurs when gas is expelled from the stomach out through the
mouth. Flatulence or farting occurs when intestinal gas is passed from the anus.
Causes of belching or burping include
- drinking too rapidly, /li>
- carbonated drinks,
- habit, and
- swallowing air.
Causes of bloating or distension include
- fluid within the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and
CCauses of gas or flatulence are diseases such as
Treatment for excessive intestinal gas depends on the cause.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...learn more »
In This Article
- Diarrhea facts
- What is diarrhea?
- What is the definition of diarrhea?
- What symptoms are associated with diarrhea?
- What are common causes of acute diarrhea?
- Traveler's diarrhea
- Viral gastroenteritis
- Bacterial enterocolitis
- Food poisoning
- What are common causes of chronic diarrhea?
- What kind of a doctor treats diarrhea?
- When should the doctor be called for diarrhea?
- How is the cause of diarrhea diagnosed?
- What home remedies help the symptoms of diarrhea?
- What medications are used to treat diarrhea?
- When should antibiotics be used for diarrhea?
- What are the complications of diarrhea?
- How can dehydration be prevented and treated?
- What about treatment of diarrhea in infants and young children?
- What about treating diarrhea in older children and adults?
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....learn more »