Patient Comments: Intestinal Gas - Effective Treatments

Question:What kinds of treatments have been effective for your intestinal gas?

Comment from: Trinigirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

One cause of gas can be due scar tissue from abdominal surgery. I had 2 abdominal surgeries and I have had a difficult time with gas and bloating ever since. It helps if I don't sit too much after eating and eat small meals. Also, I stay away from bloating foods.

Comment from: maeiounj39, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I have occasional intestinal gas, but sometimes the pain of this is really severe, almost the feeling like diarrhea. Probably the main reason why is that I eat too fast. But for me, the quickest and cheapest way to cure it is to do yoga exercises. All you need to do a couple of these exercise and whatever pain is in there will come out. Although during these exercises you may feel the pain, but that means its moving down faster, and after it all comes out, you will be feeling much better (of course being near a toilet). As well as, it helps to lay down on a cold area on your back, such as tiles. The cold feeling will get it going as well.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am 63 years old. I suffer from gases, acid reflux and pain in my right bone breast. I was so desperate with all this pain and discomfort, of trying all kinds of drugs, that I went to this store and came out with these pills that are called charco-caps, but first off I pray to God for these pills to work on me. Thank God the pain went away and the gases diminish a lot I thank God for it.

Comment from: Intestinal Gas, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I have gas but generally only at night. I am OK if I sleep on my back, but if I lie on my side or stomach, I experience discomfort and sometime I feel bilious. I try and limit milk, legumes, cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc from my diet, eat smaller meals, especially at night. I have had a gastro enterologist check me out, but he did not find anything. A dietician was recommended who produced a long list of what not to eat and a much shorter list of what I can eat.

Comment from: shiv, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I suffered from bloating for number of years. Being an Indian, taking lots of spices and rice was just something we cannot avoid. After meals I used to experience heart burn, acidic reflux and discomfort due to bloating of stomach. In my early fifties, I turned diabetic and all of a sudden all my stomach problems vanished. I had forgotten to be hungry, but the diabetes cured me and I was always hungry, but I took a controlled diet and left the table hungry. I felt lighter and got slim and trim. I felt I am thirty all over again. Thanks to diabetes.

Comment from: steven99, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I have IBS, and at times terrible intestinal gas. I know this may sound awful, but I have tried several things out there and nothing works. I only know the food to stay away from is onions and cabbage.

Comment from: cgmarko, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have been suffering from intestinal gas for many years. It has been getting worse. It has made work and my social life hell. If I eat anything within a minute or two, I will have intestinal gas. I will not go out to dinner or go anywhere where I have to eat. Work is a nightmare. I have tried every medication known to man. Nothing helps. I don't eat any fiber due to horrible cramping that comes a day or so after, so it's not from so called gassy foods. It doesn't matter what I eat. I will have gas. I even stayed home from church last night because I had horrible gas. It amazes me that someone can suffer like this and have every test a doctor can order and they find absolutely nothing. I will try charcoal and hope to get some relief.

Comment from: AbbyG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

For intermittent problems with intestinal gas, the best thing I have ever found is chamomile tea, brewed strong. It isn't an instant cure, but it relaxes something inside the intestines and eases discomfort. Limit the chamomile to not more than 2 cups per day. Also, probiotics work wonders.

Comment from: cjohnson2009, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I suffer from gas and bloating and have come across ginger tea. I went to the local grocer, purchased ginger root, boiled it for about 10 minutes, and drank it. It really helps with the bloating and gas. Now I can eat foods without looking pregnant.

Intestinal Gas - Causes Question: What was the cause of your intestinal gas?
Intestinal Gas - Bloating Causes Question: For some, it's eating a certain food. What is the usual cause of your bloating (intestinal gas)?
Intestinal Gas - Flatulence Causes Question: It may be embarrassing, but what is often the cause of your flatulence (intestinal gas)?