Patient Comments: Intestinal Gas - Effective Treatments

Question:What kinds of treatments have been effective for your intestinal gas?

Published: June 30

I have suffered for many years with occasional abdominal bloating and cramping pain in the right upper quadrant of my abdomen. A friend introduced me to ginger ale a few years ago, and now I am never without it. I can usually spot an attack before it reaches a severe level and then I drink some ginger ale.

Published: June 06

I have IBS, I weigh 138lbs but I always look four months pregnant. I wish I knew what to do to get rid of the bloat.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: February 22

Acidophilus 10 billion bacteria only at gnc or vitamin shop. Wal-Mart only has 2 billion bacteria. Take once every morning within two days you will be regular, trust me and it is not a laxative whatsoever, it is all natural. It does the same thing as activa yogurt but without the sugar or calories and way better for you.

Comment from: plaid_princess89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

When I was 10 years old I went to a doctor and was told that I have a flap of skin blocking feces from getting through and that it could be surgically removed but it would just grow back again sooner or later. Ever since then I have been on different kinds of laxatives like MiraLax (which I totally recommend!) and Crystallose, but i realized that I have had a lot of gas too and I told my mom that I think that was the problem. So I searched around for a gas reliever and I found Phazyme and I recommend it to anyone who is having gas issues! It is the best medicine that i could have ever found. Ever since then when I have gas issues I take two and like 15-30 minutes later I feel fine and I try to stay away from foods that would give me gas for like a week.

Comment from: suzta, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have had IBS-like symptoms for years. I recently started limiting FODMAPs in my diet. It's been the only thing that has relieved my bloating. My digestive system is still not 100% but I have seen a marked improvement after only a few weeks. It's definitely worth a try!worth a try!

Comment from: peony, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I used to take Zelnorm and it was very helpful until it was taken off the market. So far, I have found nothing to replace it.

Comment from: inpain, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I am having abdominal pain from moderate to severe daily to every three days. I have been unable to determine the cause, though I have suffered it since the age of four and am now 27. I know I have IBS, but dietary changes don't help at all. Usually it is that if I eat well it simply takes longer to occur. I usually have an issue with gas not being able to pass through my tract due to slow moving BM. However, I can not effectively increase this, nor stop the gas production.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

A very clear way to know if you are swallowing air is causing your "gas" is do you start to bloat as soon as you are eating. Does it feel like your stomach is increasing with every bite. After 20 minutes do you have a detectable difference in your the area around your belly button , that is do you have distention? Another way to know if you are swallowing air is after you stop eating, does the bloating not increase or continue? Another way to know if you are swallowing air is does only drinking water cause bloating? If so swallowing air on purpose to force a belch will help. For me, sipping hot water is a big help. I find I cannot sip cold liquids, I must swallow. With hot liquids everything relaxes and the hot water runs down my throat. Also it appears to relax the stomach since the bloating can decrease almost as fast as it increased.

Comment from: Female Published: April 01

After years of frustration, I have found the most effective practice is to eat the evening meal as early as you can (preferably by 5:30), eat slowly, drink plenty of water and I also take a supplement 30 minutes before I eat. It is not fool proof but it has given me the most relief than anything else.

Intestinal Gas - Causes Question: What was the cause of your intestinal gas?
Intestinal Gas - Bloating Causes Question: For some, it's eating a certain food. What is the usual cause of your bloating (intestinal gas)?
Intestinal Gas - Flatulence Causes Question: It may be embarrassing, but what is often the cause of your flatulence (intestinal gas)?