Patient Comments: Intestinal Gas - Effective Treatments

Question:What kinds of treatments have been effective for your intestinal gas?

Comment from: zimexlady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have made two trips to the emergency room with horrible stomach pains only to discover it is gas. Last night from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., I rolled on the floor, and did waist bends rocking back and forth on the edge of my bed to force the gas out. It took six hours to relieve the pain little-by-little before I could fall asleep. The ER did a CAT scan and X-ray that showed nothing was wrong. Beginning today, I am going to omit fiber and fruit from my diet. I truly believe that is the cause. All this "healthy" eating is making me miserable! I intend to try the above suggestion of ginger ale even though I have not had a soda since 1969.

Comment from: beedee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

Ginger or garlic tea helps my intestinal gas.

Published: July 24

Something I have not read here that was the cause of my bloating, is stomach surgery, I had the nissan fundiplocation to repair my esophagus and stop acid reflux. In order for the doctor to preform the operation, they must pump your stomach full of air. I had so much bloating after the operation I felt 20 months pregnant. Even my family noticed the change. None of my clothes fit, yet I weighed the same (AIR DOSEN'T WEIGH ANYTHING). But the operation was worth it I am heartburn free.

Comment from: Nancy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been suffering from excessive intestinal gas for more than two years and nothing seems to help. I have tried everything over the counter to no avail. I've gone through many tests and still nothing has been found. The worst thing with my situation is that the gas comes out without me knowing, and it is foul-smelling. My breath stinks, too. I've tried Beano, a gluten-free diet, Simethicone, a sugar-free diet, less fat, and nothing has worked.

Comment from: Sothankful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I can't thank the person who submitted the 'fennel tea' suggestion enough. I had gastric bypass surgery 17 months ago and have lived with pain the whole time. I have been to the emergency room and admitted to the hospital with no help and still the pain continued. The other day I was beside myself with pain so I began searching the net and this site with the comment on 'fennel' tea, it works! Again thank you to the previous person for submitting the comment.

Comment from: ActionWriter, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 19

Intestinal gas bothered me for years. I had tried the over the counter supplements, ginger and a few other “remedies”. I cut down on the fruits and starch, and researched the prescription I was taking for cancer. I had been cancer-free for four years when a friend asked if I ever took fennel tea. I didn't know even what it was, but I found that drinking a warm cup each morning caused my waist to slim down to where I am starting to show a "six-pack". I never thought something so simple would do the job. I no longer have problems with gas and bloating.

Comment from: SuppChild, 45-54 Female Published: July 01

I have found by doing monthly herbal intestinal cleanses, drinking plenty of water, and taking herbal supplements -- such as white kidney bean and all-natural digestion stimulants -- that my frequent gas problem has decreased.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: April 03

I think probably the best way to get rid of digestive problems that haven't reached the point of needing medical intervention is to simply change your diet to one that promotes good digestion and healing properties. I find that properly prepared Indian food works wonders for this. The store I work in is next to an Indian restaurant. There food is properly prepared to digest easily with all the herbs added for this purpose. When I eat my normal Western diet of coffee in the morning, a sandwich for lunch and a big dinner loaded up with meat and grease, I have a horrible time with stomach pain, gas, chest pains, breathing restrictions, chest tightness, and so on. Every time I have gone next door and got my Indian food for lunch instead, the next day I have no stomach or digestive complaints. Of course, the problem with this whole concept is that most Westerners are hard-headed and don't want to eat food that really promotes healing and stops the self-aggravation of their problems. They want to do what they want to do and expect the doctors to fix it when it goes haywire. I lived for two years at an Indian Ashram and ate nothing but this type of food, and I can tell you that I never had a problem. It was only after leaving and going back to indulging in the Western ways of eating that all of these problems started and have been getting worse over the years. The bottom line is your choice of foods is either your medicine or your poison.

Intestinal Gas - Causes Question: What was the cause of your intestinal gas?
Intestinal Gas - Bloating Causes Question: For some, it's eating a certain food. What is the usual cause of your bloating (intestinal gas)?
Intestinal Gas - Flatulence Causes Question: It may be embarrassing, but what is often the cause of your flatulence (intestinal gas)?