Patient Comments: Interstitial Cystitis - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your interstitial cystitis?

Comment from: Janrose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I suffered from IC for about 1 year. I tried to limit the foods on the list provided by my Dr. But it didn't help much. I didn't realize that it was mainly the diet cola that was the cause of my IC problem, I am 99% better since I quit diet cola..I used to consume about 2 cans per day.

Comment from: Elmiron, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 06

My mother suffered with interstitial cystitis. It was horrible. She was in such pain all the time. She ended up hardly being able to walk because of the pain. The doctor gave her pain medications and Elmiron. Nothing helped. When I would help her to the doctor for her appointments they would just look at her like it was all in her head. It is a terrible disease!

Comment from: coley, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My 81 year old mother has been dealing with interstitial cystitis for over ten years. This frail, little old woman is going thru hell and I am not sure what else we can do. She is on oxycodone 3 times a day and supplements that with extra-stength Tylenol. She is in constant and severe pain she does not have symptoms of frequency. She sits with a hot water bottle over her pelvic region. This disease has made an invalid of her. She can hardly walk; when she stands for over 5 minutes she suffers even worse for the remainder of the day. She has been to several urologists, a gynecologist and even a neurologist. We are at our wit's end. Even on her pain medications she states her pain is at an "8". I can hardly bear to be around her. She feels horrible all the time, it's so depressing.

Published: September 26

Most women have had a bad bladder infection. IC is like having one all of the time. One thing that helps me is drink water only. NO tea, coffee, soda, juice, alcohol. It will help. Also a supplment that helps is L-Argintine.

Comment from: brenderH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I'm thinking interstitial cystitis is a possibility for what I've been experiencing this last week. I've had countless bladder infections in the past, I am incontinent, and I have had a urethral sling operation that was only mildly effective. This week I've awakened often during the night with bladder pain that is only relieved by urination. I went to the doctor and was told there was blood in my urine, and he prescribed Bactrim. After three days I saw no improvement, and he switched me to Cipro, which has always helped my bladder infections. Again, after three days, there has been no improvement. I was starting to fear there was a problem with the sling (I've read that they can erode the skin where they are attached), but the symptoms of interstitial cystitis make sense. Is there an increased risk of bladder cancer with interstitial cystitis? Both my father and his grandfather had bladder cancer.

Comment from: Ma ma G, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have had IC for almost 10 years. I had a two-year remission but now it is back--probably due to a yeast infection, vaginitis, and stress. I am just recovering from shoulder surgery and the death of my father, so that explains the stress. I'm interested in hearing about natural treatments for IC. I have thyroid, osteoporosis and chronic fatigue issues. It seems that there is a chronic inflammation that causes these issues. I am going to return to my nutritionist and try acupuncture again.

Comment from: Sharyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have had a sharp stabbing pain from the outer area or my vagina radiating to my left ovary area. This increased over six months with several bladder infections/UTI with the pain increasing 2-3 on the pain scale. Then I ended up having such severe pain that I was screaming the house down and ending up in hospital. I had six of these bouts with nothing being done other than staying in hospital, having tests which told the docs nothing. Just continued pain relief and antibiotics. Finally had a cystoscopy and biopsy and it was agreed that it was Chronic Cystitis. After reading this article, I believe it is Interstitial Cystitis related to my MS.

Interstitial Cystitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with interstitial cystitis.