Patient Comments: Internal Bleeding: Cause of Bleeding - Experience

What was the cause of internal bleeding?

Comment from: BuBruce86, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

My story is a simple one of chronic alcohol abuse. Over a decade of very heavy binge drinking has done terrible damage to my internal everything. I have been diagnosed with esophageal varices. Basically when my blood pressure raises even slightly I run the risk of internal bleeding into my intestinal tract. The last time this happened my hemoglobin dropped to a 3.8 and I was airlifted to a major trauma center. Here I received 8 units of blood and a ton of vitamins, a drug to help stop the bleeding and 6 esophageal bands. This is now my life. Since I don't have health insurance I can only go get treatment at the emergency room. You can't feel the bleeding when it starts. You can only feel it right before you have the urge to uncontrollably vomit blood. And now you are hoping to get to a trauma center before you die. I have stopped drinking but this has only made my trips to the hospital less frequent. I get to face the fact that I will die as a young adult because of the damage I have done to my body. For everyone out there that suffers from this condition and it isn't their own fault I am so sorry for what you are going through. For sufferers like myself that brought this on by our own doing please get your story out to our youths before you pass. They need to see the dark side of what seems to just be fun drinking shenanigans.

Comment from: supergran0606, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had pain under ribs and at back; turned out my appendix had ruptured causing an abscess the size of a large grapefruit next to my liver. By that time I had collapsed lung and pneumonia so they could not operate, but drained the abscess. There was also one attached to my stomach. A year later a very tiny appendix was removed, clearly the remainder of the appendix.

Comment from: Red, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 23

She was diagnosed with small cell cancer at the age of 52. It was in the lung and lymph node in her neck. She was treated in a hospital with radiation and chemotherapy for 6 months. Her cancer went into remission and did not return until she was 80 (2016) years old.

Comment from: MissyKissy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My internal bleeding was caused when I got in a bad snowboard accident. They took my pulse lying down, sitting up, and then standing up. They then stuck me with an IV and sent me via ambulance to ICU for 3 days. It was awful. I had bruised liver, bruised kidney, and internal bleeding. I just remember being in a lot of pain and being super dizzy.

Comment from: shel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

Last week I was taken into the emergency room with major pain on the left side of my stomach. The pain would radiate down as well. Had a catscan done and found out I tore a muscle I my stomach and have a pocket of blood in my stomach. I was admitted into the hospital for the night. The pain has subsided, however, it still hurts a lot and have been very tired. I see the Dr again this Friday, however, thinking I should be seen sooner. When I was released from the hospital he had told me the swollenness and pain should go away within 4 to 5 days. It has now been 9 days.

Comment from: Nanasnushka, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My dad had been having hyponatremia symptoms for several months. They thought it was congestive heart failure. The symptoms are the same for severe anemia. My dad was then admitted to the emergency room on 2/13/14 with an Hgb of 4.2. He lost 2/3 of his blood. They gave him 8 units of blood, an upper (endoscopy) and colonoscopy. We went to the doctor 10 days later, his Hgb was 12. Three weeks later it was 8.1, he went to hospital for 2 units and swallowed camera. Nothing has shown any blood loss, his stools are normal, not dark. I can"t figure out where the blood is going. He has had a swollen abdomen and they are supposed to run a CAT scan or MRI. I hope they are going to find the source. His iron is high, so that is not the problem. I hope they find it sooner rather than later.

Internal Bleeding - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with internal bleeding?
Internal Bleeding - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you had to find the source of internal bleeding.
Internal Bleeding - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive to identify and stop the source of internal bleeding?