Patient Comments: Internal Bleeding: Cause of Bleeding - Experience

What was the cause of internal bleeding?

Comment from: shel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

Last week I was taken into the emergency room with major pain on the left side of my stomach. The pain would radiate down as well. Had a catscan done and found out I tore a muscle I my stomach and have a pocket of blood in my stomach. I was admitted into the hospital for the night. The pain has subsided, however, it still hurts a lot and have been very tired. I see the Dr again this Friday, however, thinking I should be seen sooner. When I was released from the hospital he had told me the swollenness and pain should go away within 4 to 5 days. It has now been 9 days.

Comment from: lady119a, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

In 2003 I had internal bleeding had 3 transfusions and the bleeding stopped, in 2008 for the month of May the bleeding started again had 3 transfusions and the bleeding stopped, but in 2009 the bleeding came back and did not stop i had 52 bloods transfusions and over 10 scopes top and bottom had 2 bone marrow biopsy, took the camera pill it showed the bleeding was in the lower intestines had exploratory surgery but the surgeon did not see any bleeding there, but the gastrologist wanted him to cut off my small intestines but the surgeon said no, thank god he did not. I found another gastrologist and he told me everyone was doing the scopes when my blood count was under 10 he said in order for them to find the bleed my count has to be over 10, so I went and got 3 transfusions and he went in and found I had a busted blood vessel under the small intestine at the top. I want to thank god for finding me a doctor who cares about his patients and not trying to make money off my insurance.

Comment from: herniarepair, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

The night following corrective surgery for an umbilical hernia, I had severe pain in my abdomen. The pain was just under my ribcage, all the way down to my groin. It was worse when I moved or tried to take a breath. When I called my surgeon, he wanted to see me. The 30 minute ride was excruciating and I kept trying to cry because it hurt so badly, but it hurt so bad that I'd have to make myself stop. Upon examination, he sent me to the ER for a CT scan and lab work. Some of the blood from the surgery had spilled into my abdomen and was irritating my diaphragm (that's why it hurt to breath and move). It resolved on its own and I was sent home with pain meds to get through the pain.

Comment from: Nanasnushka, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My dad had been having hyponatremia symptoms for several months. They thought it was congestive heart failure. The symptoms are the same for severe anemia. My dad was then admitted to the emergency room on 2/13/14 with an Hgb of 4.2. He lost 2/3 of his blood. They gave him 8 units of blood, an upper (endoscopy) and colonoscopy. We went to the doctor 10 days later, his Hgb was 12. Three weeks later it was 8.1, he went to hospital for 2 units and swallowed camera. Nothing has shown any blood loss, his stools are normal, not dark. I can"t figure out where the blood is going. He has had a swollen abdomen and they are supposed to run a CAT scan or MRI. I hope they are going to find the source. His iron is high, so that is not the problem. I hope they find it sooner rather than later.

Comment from: Dr. Renae, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 25

Tuesday June, 10th my mom had a liver biopsy. They said it went well. Saturday June, 14th she went to the ER vomiting blood. They moved her to a larger hospital in the a bigger town. The Scan revealed a cut bile duct. They put a pump in her stomach and a pick line in her neck. She received 2 pints that day. The results of the biopsy were negative. Her liver is fine. She has fluid around her heart and blockages in her heart. Today June, 22nd she received another 2 pints of blood. Her breathing is labored and she is in pain even though she is taking Morphine every 3 hours. Don't get a liver biopsy.

Internal Bleeding - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with internal bleeding?
Internal Bleeding - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you had to find the source of internal bleeding.
Internal Bleeding - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive to identify and stop the source of internal bleeding?