Patient Comments: Internal Bleeding: Cause of Bleeding - Experience

What was the cause of internal bleeding?

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 27

My husband fell 8 ft from a ladder onto concrete floor. Broke his left humorous bone in arm, which had a rod put in the bone to heel. Broke the socket/ball of left hip, was put in traction for 3 weeks. Release from hospital, his lower right side of back had a swollen pouch the size of the palm of my hand. Hospital staff said probably caused from laying so long in the hosp. bed. He was mobile with a walker and about 5 weeks out of hospital while going to the bathroom instead of bowel movement there was a lot of blood in the toilet. The place on his back was reduced in size. Was this a blood clot from the fall and as of yesterday and today has slept most of the time.

Comment from: Daughterinlaw, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 22

My mother in-law is 76 and is bleeding internally without being on any blood thinners and they used the scope on her and found nothing. She's going tomorrow for 2 pts of blood and is fighting 2 blood clots, but they can't give her any thinners for them. .

Comment from: Sal, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I spent over a week in a VA hospital due internal bleeding. Large amount of blood was being passed thru my stools. After a CT scan, two colonoscopy's, and a upper GI endoscopy, a exact cause of the bleeding was not find. My bleeding stopped after the 6th day enabling me to avoid a planned blood transfusion. My blood count dropped from a 14 level to 8.2 level. At this time the Medical staff conclusion was Diverticulosis of the colon. Some altering of my medications but no real advice on what to avoid in my diet.

Comment from: Indian, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I had a fall during a morning walk. The outside of the thigh hit the edge of a footpath. The impact was like a strong hit on the muscles. No external bleeding occurred. Until 4 hours nothing was visible, no pain, no difficulty in walking etc. But after 4 hours it started hurting and swelling appeared. Then I was not able to walk even to the bathroom due to severe pain. An Ortho examined after 12 hours of the fall and opined that there is no fracture of bones and also said that I should stop taking my daily dose (Ecosprin 75 mg) of aspirin. In fact I had not taken the aspirin on that day on my own. Ice was not applied until the Ortho examined it. The swelling is reduced to a considerable extent since then and the pain too, but there is blue color all over the leg besides the 'hit' part, its opposite part, knee and below knee. There is some swelling and pain on the knee. Though the Doc has told that it will take at least 8 days to return to normal, and now it is 7th day today, I feel a bit worried because the pain and swelling though reduced, is still there. I am on medication for diabetes, hyper tension and cholesterol.

Comment from: Anony, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was in a bicycle accident and after I was checked out on scene and released by the paramedics, I later passed out and puked in my boss's office. I was taken to the hospital and they did an ultrasound and noticed fluid around my spleen. My blood pressure dropped so dramatically that they couldn't give me anything for the pain. It's now 11 days later, and the pain is just starting to diminish from where I had internal bleeding.

Comment from: bigjj, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

My internal bleeding was caused by a routine outpatient laparoscopy. The doctors nicked my omentum while removing scar tissue. I lost 2 1/2 pints of blood before they decided to do anything and acknowledge wow this girl is in agony. I had never felt that incredible amount of pain in my life. After it slowly began to bleed and leak if you will, it still took over 12 hours for them to realize as other organs began failing. Needless to say a small incision turned into 2 large incisions, 4 day ICU stay and additional days in regular room. Still having complications from everything they did that day and it's been almost 5 months. Mysteriously my records have gone missing. Sorry guess I went a little over the top on my reason for internal bleeding.

Internal Bleeding - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with internal bleeding?
Internal Bleeding - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you had to find the source of internal bleeding.
Internal Bleeding - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive to identify and stop the source of internal bleeding?