Patient Comments: Internal Bleeding: Cause of Bleeding - Experience

What was the cause of internal bleeding?

Comment from: Ellie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I tripped over a footstool it turned over and I landed chest first on a metal round on the bottom of one of the four feet. I have pain in my chest. I put ice on it. There is a red circle remaining on my chest after two hours. There is pain in my chest. I am breathing normally but when Inhale it hurts. No visible bruise only redness.

Comment from: bethj67, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My mother has been in and out of the hospital for the past month for internal bleeding. The doctors have scoped her upper and lower gastrointestinal tract as well as giving her a pill to swallow that has a miniature camera in it. Still, to this day they cannot find the cause of bleeding and are stating that she will be lucky to see Christmas. There HAS to be something they are overlooking and there HAS to be something they can do for her.

Comment from: ronny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I was taking Plavix and aspirin when a CT scan showed a blood clot, bleeding and old bleed. The doctor took off Plavix. I spent 18 days in the hospital.

Comment from: Babygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had pain in my back and leg which I thought was due to a preexisting condition, but my neighbor called an ambulance. I am under investigation for anemia, and I had what I thought was diarrhea on the Tuesday. I was told on Wednesday that I had lost 5 pints of blood. The cause was an ulcer. I had a 5-unit transfusion between Wednesday and Thursday last week and I am home now.

Comment from: Lil-maria-pie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I first got internal bleeding after I was involved in an attack. I got shot at the age of 15 and I was with my friends. My best friend died, and I got shot. I was hemorrhaging and now I'm recovering. I'm now 17, and it has taken so long for me to be able to walk. I still can't walk properly, and I have a scar. My internal bleeding recurs.

Comment from: diananicole, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

My internal bleeding was caused by an ovarian cyst that ruptured and took out a nearby blood vessel. The symptoms were subtle at first: sharp menstrual pains, but later it got difficult to breathe and I had a sharp pain running up my left shoulder blade. And of course, my blood pressure dropped significantly.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 27

My husband fell 8 ft from a ladder onto concrete floor. Broke his left humorous bone in arm, which had a rod put in the bone to heel. Broke the socket/ball of left hip, was put in traction for 3 weeks. Release from hospital, his lower right side of back had a swollen pouch the size of the palm of my hand. Hospital staff said probably caused from laying so long in the hosp. bed. He was mobile with a walker and about 5 weeks out of hospital while going to the bathroom instead of bowel movement there was a lot of blood in the toilet. The place on his back was reduced in size. Was this a blood clot from the fall and as of yesterday and today has slept most of the time.

Comment from: Daughterinlaw, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 22

My mother in-law is 76 and is bleeding internally without being on any blood thinners and they used the scope on her and found nothing. She's going tomorrow for 2 pts of blood and is fighting 2 blood clots, but they can't give her any thinners for them. .

Internal Bleeding - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with internal bleeding?
Internal Bleeding - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you had to find the source of internal bleeding.
Internal Bleeding - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive to identify and stop the source of internal bleeding?