Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your insulin resistance?

Comment from: Akhtar, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

Unfortunately, doctors have never checked the cause why my blood sugar is not in control. I eat exactly what has been prescribed above, but I keep gaining weight, slowly. Last year I was at a place where I had access to a gym. I was on the treadmill, exercise bike for 50 minutes, total, and then weights for another 40 minutes. My weight went down, stomach was in, muscles were visible. My HBA1C went down from 7.8 to 6.1 in two months. Now it is 8.1 again.

Comment from: AMH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I was just diagnosed with insulin resistance today by a doctor who listened to me. For years I have tried so hard to lose weight. Yet no matter what diet I went on or how hard and long I exercised I couldn't get my weight under control. I've been to so many doctors. Over and over they would misdiagnose and tell me to "just lose some weight." They never seemed to listen when I explained my long and intense walking, cycling, swimming, and kayaking workouts, usually for two or more hours each day. I kept detailed food diaries that listed everything about the food. I refined and refined and refined my healthy eating plan until there was no refined foods in my diet. Yet the doctors didn't seem to hear me. I guess they couldn't see beyond my size. So my health has continued to deteriorate even with very healthy eating and lots of hard exercise. For example, last week I cycled 77 miles. Yet the Physicians Assistant I saw a few weeks ago told me I "really should consider getting some aerobic exercise." Finally, after 10 doctors in the last 2 years, I have found a wonderful doctor who really listened and who really understood what I've been going through. He prescribed Metformin. I feel so much relief that I've finally found someone who will work with me to improve my health. I'm anxious to see how the Metformin will help my already established good health habits.

Comment from: brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

my sugar just keeps dropping even after eating 1 hour and half earlier it drops whenever drove myself to hospital when it didn't show on 2 machines

Comment from: Corien, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My doctor wants to send me for tests to see if I am insulin resistant. I follow a strict diet and I exercise 6 to 7 times a week for 30 to 40 minutes of cardio and Pilates. I have been unable to lose weight for 15 months. I am tired and irritable. I have severe headaches. My eyesight has deteriorated. I am extremely thirsty all the time. During summer I drink 4 to 6 liters of water because of my thirst. During my period I get dizzy spells and scrapes and bruises take a long time to heal.

Comment from: peach, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I started feeling bad when I started puberty. Mostly I stayed sick and it got worse as I got older. In high school I had a constant migraine. I would shake all over. After graduation I started college and I was really into exercising and I began to notice a change in my energy levels and I had less migraines. However, I moved to a bigger university and stopped my exercise routine. I was back to being sick, but it was worse. I would pass out and wake up vomiting. I would shake for no reason and when I hurt myself (like cuts or scrapes) it would take weeks to heel. I finally had enough of it when I passed out in the middle of a presentation and went to see my doctor. He diagnosed me with insulin resistance. I had to lose weight. I am 5'0" and weighed 136. I have lost twelve pounds. I still have episodes where my sugar gets extremely low then spikes rapidly.

Comment from: Bronwyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was overweight and could not conceive and all my fat is stored in my belly. I explained this to my doctor and he did a test and I was diagnosed as insulin resistant. That was the cause for my infertility. I went on a low GI diet. I lost weight and the problem was reversed after three months. I fell pregnant with my baby boy, but now I am back to where I was, and struggling to go back on my diet.

Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.
Insulin Resistance - Causes Question: What do you suspect or know was the cause of your insulin resistance?