Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your insulin resistance?

Comment from: Luvnarsbars, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am a 47 year old woman who for the past 6 to 12 months just didn't feel right. Symptoms are severe tiredness, brain fog, no energy, bad self-esteem, weight gain of 10 kg over a year, nausea when I eat and craving for anything with salt or sugar. All blood tests from my general physician came back normal. I went to a naturopath, you guessed it, insulin resistance. I was put on a low carbohydrate, high protein diet to start shifting the weight, vitamin D supplement as I was very low, and a few other Metagenics supplements. Within four days (and I was being very strict with myself and not cheating on my diet), I began to feel a small shift. I was able to exercise for 20 minutes of reasonably paced walking. Each day since then I have felt better. My sleep is still a bit of a problem, but working on my weight has helped lift the brain fog, my self-esteem and my nausea. Now I am walking 40 to 50 minutes most days and feeling so much better in myself. If I cheat and have sweets or a few lollies I can get a migraine almost immediately and carbohydrates just cause so much bloating that it isn't worth it. I spend a lot of money on good food for myself, but having said that, as I don't buy any chocolate, sweets, chips etc., it probably is the same amount if not a bit cheaper. I always have a stash of nuts, protein bars and shakes nearby just in case. This saves a lot of temptation. So far, in 5 weeks I have lost 5.5 kg and 4 cm off my waist.

Comment from: Akhtar, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

Unfortunately, doctors have never checked the cause why my blood sugar is not in control. I eat exactly what has been prescribed above, but I keep gaining weight, slowly. Last year I was at a place where I had access to a gym. I was on the treadmill, exercise bike for 50 minutes, total, and then weights for another 40 minutes. My weight went down, stomach was in, muscles were visible. My HBA1C went down from 7.8 to 6.1 in two months. Now it is 8.1 again.

Comment from: Myrnamo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, blood sugar is 116. I had a low carbohydrate diet for 3 months. It is difficult to lose weight. Doctor says there is no test for insulin resistance. And am not diabetic.

Comment from: AMH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I was just diagnosed with insulin resistance today by a doctor who listened to me. For years I have tried so hard to lose weight. Yet no matter what diet I went on or how hard and long I exercised I couldn't get my weight under control. I've been to so many doctors. Over and over they would misdiagnose and tell me to "just lose some weight." They never seemed to listen when I explained my long and intense walking, cycling, swimming, and kayaking workouts, usually for two or more hours each day. I kept detailed food diaries that listed everything about the food. I refined and refined and refined my healthy eating plan until there was no refined foods in my diet. Yet the doctors didn't seem to hear me. I guess they couldn't see beyond my size. So my health has continued to deteriorate even with very healthy eating and lots of hard exercise. For example, last week I cycled 77 miles. Yet the Physicians Assistant I saw a few weeks ago told me I "really should consider getting some aerobic exercise." Finally, after 10 doctors in the last 2 years, I have found a wonderful doctor who really listened and who really understood what I've been going through. He prescribed Metformin. I feel so much relief that I've finally found someone who will work with me to improve my health. I'm anxious to see how the Metformin will help my already established good health habits.

Comment from: brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

my sugar just keeps dropping even after eating 1 hour and half earlier it drops whenever drove myself to hospital when it didn't show on 2 machines

Comment from: Bronwyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was overweight and could not conceive and all my fat is stored in my belly. I explained this to my doctor and he did a test and I was diagnosed as insulin resistant. That was the cause for my infertility. I went on a low GI diet. I lost weight and the problem was reversed after three months. I fell pregnant with my baby boy, but now I am back to where I was, and struggling to go back on my diet.

Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.
Insulin Resistance - Causes Question: What do you suspect or know was the cause of your insulin resistance?