Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your insulin resistance?

Comment from: peach, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I started feeling bad when I started puberty. Mostly I stayed sick and it got worse as I got older. In high school I had a constant migraine. I would shake all over. After graduation I started college and I was really into exercising and I began to notice a change in my energy levels and I had less migraines. However, I moved to a bigger university and stopped my exercise routine. I was back to being sick, but it was worse. I would pass out and wake up vomiting. I would shake for no reason and when I hurt myself (like cuts or scrapes) it would take weeks to heel. I finally had enough of it when I passed out in the middle of a presentation and went to see my doctor. He diagnosed me with insulin resistance. I had to lose weight. I am 5'0" and weighed 136. I have lost twelve pounds. I still have episodes where my sugar gets extremely low then spikes rapidly.

Comment from: anonymouspatient, Male (Patient) Published: February 13

10 years ago the medical doctor I went to taught me the trans fats (anything with "hydrogenated oil" in the label) causes insulin resistance. Refined sugars cause high sugar. He taught me how to eat and got my sugar controlled. It is scary how much ignorance is out there on the part of md's that were taught nothing about nutrition. The Trans fats clog cells making it harder for insulin to get in.

Comment from: Ree24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I was extremely tired all the time, and I couldn't lose weight. Even with exercising every day and counting calories. I finally went to my doctor and was diagnosed with it. She put me on Metformin for a few months, and I started a low carb diet. I lost 34 pounds and my insulin levels were back to normal. It is amazing how much better I feel all around, now that it's under control!

Comment from: Mardi Naidoo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 12 years ago and was on Diamicron for the past 8 years. I started walking and swimming regularly about 5 years ago and also cut out all unhealthy foods; mainly refined carbohydrates! I also take a cinnamon capsule and a resveratrol capsule; as well as Krill Oil. I monitor my blood sugar daily and have stopped taking the Diamicron as my blood sugar is well controlled without it, and if I do take it, it causes terrible low blood sugar! Type 2 diabetes is reversible!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

Insulin resistance has never been explained so easily. It's so important for patients and caregivers to understand pre-diabetes and diabetes, so they can take action once they know why is so important to have the right nutrition, to exercise and to lose weight. Everything makes sense in diabetes.

Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.
Insulin Resistance - Causes Question: What do you suspect or know was the cause of your insulin resistance?