Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.

Comment from: Suzya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance a couple of years ago. However, what was I was not told was how bad it could be. What all the symptoms were. What foods I should avoid. I was prescribed Metformin however this made me sick and therefore went off it. When I was in my late teens I went to a hormone specialist and was told that I would have problems becoming pregnant and that I would always be overweight and there was not a lot I could do about it. I believe that all along I have been Insulin Resistance. As a teenager I was extremely active exercising up to 3 hours a day yet still had the belly. I also have dirty spots on my elbows and back of the next and a few skin tags. What I would like to know is if there is a way to avoid being insulin resistant or is it part of your makeup. I have 3 kids and while at the moment they are all fit and in healthy weight ranges I want to know if there is anything I should be avoiding? Does eating lots of white bread, pasta etc cause it? Insulin Resistance is very unknown and I believe more studies need to be carried out in this area.

Comment from: Fred, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Hi my experience with insulin resistance first happened when I was at a good weight then all of a sudden my weight went up 1kilo a day till I weighed 89 kilos.It was finally diagnosed.I was on glucophage XL for quite a while then the endocrinologist said 3 tablets of glucophage was not enough he wanted me to go up to 2500mg but that made me vomit, so went on Victosa for a month which really helped weight loss but the frightening side effects made me quit, now back on 2000mg of glucophage, too early to see if I will now loose weight again we wait and see. at the present I am 75 kilos but wanting to be 65 .Blood tests say I am too high yet.I do use accu-chek as well to monitor levels.

Comment from: pj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

Recently, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance (IR). I was prescribed metformin. I've read reviews about it, and it appears to be the safest to take as a diabetic med. I am also vitamin-D deficient, so I take a supplement once a week (50,000 units). I hate taking pills, as I read about so many risks. I need to get past my concern for all these meds. My parents are both deceased – my mother had breast cancer and my father had COPD. My sister has diabetes and my brother has high blood pressure. I just recently got a job so that I could get health insurance. I am having problems, as I am up to 300 pounds.

Comment from: speedy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was just diagnosed with (IR) and can't believe it took this long to find out what was wrong with me. I have fainted since age 6, was diagnosed as having pre-diabetes, had kidney cancer, a heart attack, atherosclerosis, migraines, a high white blood cell count, and could not lose weight even with exercise. I also had gastrointestinal disease and gained weight on diets, among other things. My doctor advised that I don't need a blood glucose monitoring system, but I'm going to seek other opinion.

Comment from: krmg2705, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am a 53 year old woman with hyperthyroidism, high blood pressure, depression, obesity, restless leg syndrome, iron deficiency, not in menopause, and arthritic. In the last year and a half I have gained 40 lbs. no matter how I ate or exercised. Every time I went to my family doctor I would ask her why this was happening and she never gave me an answer other then find a weight loss program that worked for me. One week ago I went to my gynecologist to discuss why I had not had a period in 1 1/2 years and explained how I gained so much weight. In 5 minutes of talking to him he suggested insulin resistance and ordered all the necessary tests as well as checking me for menopause and hyperthyroidism. Today I received the news that not only am I insulin resistance but my thyroid medication needed to be changed and unfortunately I am not going through menopause.

Insulin Resistance - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your insulin resistance?
Insulin Resistance - Causes Question: What do you suspect or know was the cause of your insulin resistance?
Insulin Resistance - Diet Question: Please share your experience with foods that seem to stabilize your blood sugar levels.