Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.

Comment from: speedy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was just diagnosed with (IR) and can't believe it took this long to find out what was wrong with me. I have fainted since age 6, was diagnosed as having pre-diabetes, had kidney cancer, a heart attack, atherosclerosis, migraines, a high white blood cell count, and could not lose weight even with exercise. I also had gastrointestinal disease and gained weight on diets, among other things. My doctor advised that I don't need a blood glucose monitoring system, but I'm going to seek other opinion.

Comment from: krmg2705, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am a 53 year old woman with hyperthyroidism, high blood pressure, depression, obesity, restless leg syndrome, iron deficiency, not in menopause, and arthritic. In the last year and a half I have gained 40 lbs. no matter how I ate or exercised. Every time I went to my family doctor I would ask her why this was happening and she never gave me an answer other then find a weight loss program that worked for me. One week ago I went to my gynecologist to discuss why I had not had a period in 1 1/2 years and explained how I gained so much weight. In 5 minutes of talking to him he suggested insulin resistance and ordered all the necessary tests as well as checking me for menopause and hyperthyroidism. Today I received the news that not only am I insulin resistance but my thyroid medication needed to be changed and unfortunately I am not going through menopause.

Comment from: Desperate Mom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My daughter is 28 years old. She has always been small in weight. At the age of 16, the doctors said she had Gilbert's disease, which sounds worse than it really is. It can get scary when her eyes turn yellow though! Now we are told she is insulin resistant. The medicine they put her on makes her really sick, and she can't keep losing weight. She weighs 85 pounds now. Everyone I hear about with IR struggles with obesity, so we are totally confused.

Comment from: shousley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

With my experience with insulin resistance (IR), I was tested a few years ago by my primary doctor who also studies bariatrics. I did not get on any medication. I am 55 years old now, and I can't lose weight. I need to lose 30 pounds. Currently, I weigh 185. I am 5 feet, seven inches tall. I always crave carbs and sweets: candy, cookies, crackers, baked potatoes, and fries. About eight years ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Before that, I worked out six days a week I still try to do something, but I'm just so tired. I also notice grumpiness when I get hungry. That has been going on since I was 30, and I was not overweight then.

Comment from: aafa8943, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance several years ago. My primary care doctor gave me glucophage, and even the low dose made me green around the gills. I am in a safety sensitive job and couldn't work due to nausea that never went away while on the glucophage. I went to an endocrinologist who also does metabolic research. I am now only taking byetta for insulin resistance. Ask your doctor about it. It is in shot form but it has mine under control.

Comment from: megstoo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 28 year old female who is insulin resistant. It started when I was diagnosed with PCOS which infertility. I struggled with losing weight and constantly had my thyroid checked to figure out that it was in check. While being insulin resistant I've had to keep with my work out schedule of 4 to 5 times a week for over an hour each time. If I don't workout the weight creeps back on. Recently I had my blood checked to start Accutane for my acne (caused from PCOS) and this came back incredibility high for cholesterol and triglycerides. At that time it was determined again that I was insulin resistant. It's been a lifestyle change for me. I always work out, I never smoke, drink and I watch what I eat but it's not enough. What a lot of people don't understand is that being insulin resistant is very hard to control with or without medicine you are always having to watch what you put in your mouth.

Insulin Resistance - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your insulin resistance?
Insulin Resistance - Causes Question: What do you suspect or know was the cause of your insulin resistance?