Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.

Comment from: shousley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

With my experience with insulin resistance (IR), I was tested a few years ago by my primary doctor who also studies bariatrics. I did not get on any medication. I am 55 years old now, and I can't lose weight. I need to lose 30 pounds. Currently, I weigh 185. I am 5 feet, seven inches tall. I always crave carbs and sweets: candy, cookies, crackers, baked potatoes, and fries. About eight years ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Before that, I worked out six days a week I still try to do something, but I'm just so tired. I also notice grumpiness when I get hungry. That has been going on since I was 30, and I was not overweight then.

Comment from: aafa8943, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance several years ago. My primary care doctor gave me glucophage, and even the low dose made me green around the gills. I am in a safety sensitive job and couldn't work due to nausea that never went away while on the glucophage. I went to an endocrinologist who also does metabolic research. I am now only taking byetta for insulin resistance. Ask your doctor about it. It is in shot form but it has mine under control.

Comment from: megstoo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 28 year old female who is insulin resistant. It started when I was diagnosed with PCOS which infertility. I struggled with losing weight and constantly had my thyroid checked to figure out that it was in check. While being insulin resistant I've had to keep with my work out schedule of 4 to 5 times a week for over an hour each time. If I don't workout the weight creeps back on. Recently I had my blood checked to start Accutane for my acne (caused from PCOS) and this came back incredibility high for cholesterol and triglycerides. At that time it was determined again that I was insulin resistant. It's been a lifestyle change for me. I always work out, I never smoke, drink and I watch what I eat but it's not enough. What a lot of people don't understand is that being insulin resistant is very hard to control with or without medicine you are always having to watch what you put in your mouth.

Comment from: Diabetic pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am 57 and type 2 insulin resistant. I no longer can take Metformin due to daily diarrhea for 6 months. This was before the doctor realized it was the medicine causing the diarrhea. Once I stopped the Metformin no more severe diarrhea. The Lantus and Novalog dosage has increased now, but I am still having a tough time getting my blood sugar regulated. I have increased exercise and cutting carbs, but no luck so far.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: February 19

I believe I have insulin resistance; I am 20 years old and can't seem to ever lose weight. I exercise 5-7 days a week and do not eat over 1200 calories a day. Diabetes runs in my family and my body is an avocado shape so I am more prone to insulin resistance. I just recently got high blood pressure and that is with the good diet and exercise. I have always been a bigger girl and the weight constantly crept on, I am 200 lbs now.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: February 19

I am 31 years old and I was overweight before high school, lost weight during high school - due to playing sports - , and after one year of cheerleading in college, the weight piled on from there. I am 5'1" and I weighed 115 in high school and was very muscular. Now I weigh 220 seventeen years later. I love to eat. I crave sweets, potatoes, corn, and anything starchy. I have zero energy. I have skin tags, dark places in the folds of my skin, and polycystic ovaries. I have been diagnosed by my fertility doctor with Insulin Resistance. I came on this web site to see what I needed to eat to be healthier and to be able to lose weight.

Comment from: brandx, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My step daughters were overweight, had skin and hair problems, one also had period problems. The dermatologist, gynaec and pediatrician missed the actual cause. I took them to a dietician who identified the problem right away! She showed me the tell tale signs like the dark ring on the neck, apple shaped body etc. I see kids with the problems and just cant help telling even the strangers so that they don't have to suffer for years like my daughters did!

Insulin Resistance - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your insulin resistance?
Insulin Resistance - Causes Question: What do you suspect or know was the cause of your insulin resistance?