Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

What isn't clear here is what is actually happening to the insulin receptors during insulin resistance. The receptors are getting damaged and that is why the muscles do not hear the knock as well. I have found with my Type 1 diabetic son that wheat/gluten/dairy cause damage to the insulin receptors. When these foods are omitted his need for insulin diminishes. Periodically, he would need an entire unit of Humalog to cover his meal instead of .5 as normal. Having had omitted wheat/gluten/dairy I was perplexed until I found out that there was an unlabeled ingredient in his vanilla and chocolate flavored Splenda soy milk. Once I stopped that food item his insulin became more sensitive again. Quite often he doesn't need any Humalog to cover dinner if he's active. I thought I would share this with you in hopes that more research would be done to determine what foods damage those receptors. It may be more complex than that, meaning, not all foods affect each of us the same. Nonetheless, this avenue should be researched.

Published: June 30

I am 67 years old and very active. I am a master herbalist and nutritionist, so I always thought I was eating healthy. I eat lean meats, low-fat dairy and no trans fats. I also counted fiber and made sure I ate a minimum of 30 grams of fiber a day so I was eating whole grains and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I walk several miles three to four times a week, garden, swim, kayak and play tennis. But the weight just would not come off. Then I began having problems with my knees and knew it was from weight. My annual physicals and blood work for cholesterol, triglicerides, sugar levels, etc. have always been normal as well as my blood pressure. At my last physical in April, I told my family physician who specializes in endocrinology that in spite of my lifestyle and diet, I was slowly gaining additional weight. She concluded that I am insulin resistant because of the quantity of natural carbs in the whole grains and fruits and vegetables I was eating. I also have many skin tags, both flat and with stems. She prescribed 500 mg of metformin, two times a day and a food regimen that consists of only 20 carbs a day. Also, she put me on an anti-spastic bladder medication and 5 mg. of aphrazolom to help me sleep at least eight hours without interruption. Since April, I have lost 20 lbs, my appetite has decreased, my cravings for carbs has totally diminished, and I have more energy than I have had in a long time. Even the pain in my knees is gone. Last week, the lab work showed kidney and liver functions to be normal and sugar levels are normal. It has been quite an experience for me to change my diet and to count carbs instead of fiber and fats. Now my younger daughter has been diagnosed with insulin resistance by the same doctor and my two granddaughters have weight problems and skin tags. Both of my grandmothers were overweight and both ate a lot of carbs. If the gene for insulin resistance is hereditary, it must be in my family.

Comment from: Suzya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance a couple of years ago. However, what was I was not told was how bad it could be. What all the symptoms were. What foods I should avoid. I was prescribed Metformin however this made me sick and therefore went off it. When I was in my late teens I went to a hormone specialist and was told that I would have problems becoming pregnant and that I would always be overweight and there was not a lot I could do about it. I believe that all along I have been Insulin Resistance. As a teenager I was extremely active exercising up to 3 hours a day yet still had the belly. I also have dirty spots on my elbows and back of the next and a few skin tags. What I would like to know is if there is a way to avoid being insulin resistant or is it part of your makeup. I have 3 kids and while at the moment they are all fit and in healthy weight ranges I want to know if there is anything I should be avoiding? Does eating lots of white bread, pasta etc cause it? Insulin Resistance is very unknown and I believe more studies need to be carried out in this area.

Comment from: Fred, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Hi my experience with insulin resistance first happened when I was at a good weight then all of a sudden my weight went up 1kilo a day till I weighed 89 kilos.It was finally diagnosed.I was on glucophage XL for quite a while then the endocrinologist said 3 tablets of glucophage was not enough he wanted me to go up to 2500mg but that made me vomit, so went on Victosa for a month which really helped weight loss but the frightening side effects made me quit, now back on 2000mg of glucophage, too early to see if I will now loose weight again we wait and see. at the present I am 75 kilos but wanting to be 65 .Blood tests say I am too high yet.I do use accu-chek as well to monitor levels.

Comment from: pj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

Recently, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance (IR). I was prescribed metformin. I've read reviews about it, and it appears to be the safest to take as a diabetic med. I am also vitamin-D deficient, so I take a supplement once a week (50,000 units). I hate taking pills, as I read about so many risks. I need to get past my concern for all these meds. My parents are both deceased – my mother had breast cancer and my father had COPD. My sister has diabetes and my brother has high blood pressure. I just recently got a job so that I could get health insurance. I am having problems, as I am up to 300 pounds.

Insulin Resistance - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your insulin resistance?
Insulin Resistance - Causes Question: What do you suspect or know was the cause of your insulin resistance?