Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am a female, 68 years old. I'm 5'3” and 113 lb. I exercise every day and am very active. Recently I had A1C of 5.7 and blood glucose of 106. In everything that I have read regarding pre-diabetes they tell you to lose weight, exercise, give up soda, sweets, etc. My frustration is that I'm already thin, very active and have never smoked or consumed soda. I also don't drink alcohol.

Comment from: jess, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

Since my daughter was born she was always larger in size than she should be. With every effort made in trying to get an answer I was told she should stop eating muffins. My child has been through so much and is continuing to struggle with insulin resistance. She has been on medication for the past 4 years, she has exercised and dieted and still she cannot lose weight. She loses some weight then cannot lose anymore. She is 15 years old and it saddens me to think there is no real answer for this. Doctors and professionals really need to investigate until something real is found.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was recently diagnosed insulin resistance. It came as quite a shock. I have yearly physicals & my blood work was always excellent. Well, of course my fasting sugar was normal - but my pancreas was working overtime to get it there. I went to a nutritionist because I always felt that I couldn't lose weight and steadily, but on 10 pounds a year for 6 years. So glad that I went to see the nutritionist. I would have been in the dark until I actually had diabetes. I chose to alter my diet & not take medication. My intake of sugar is around 20g per day. I am working on increasing my protein intake. It's been a little over a month, and I'm not craving sugar (did not add any artificial sweetener either), working on getting carbs even lower although I have given up most bread products. I will get wheat if I need to. I am exercising regularly now. The diagnosis sufficiently scared me to turn me around. My mother is diabetic and obese, my grandmother is diabetic and has health issues related to diabetes. I don't want to be on medications for the rest of my life. My nutritionist believes that I will get the insulin resistance under control. I miss fruit and Starbucks, but living longer is more important. I wanted to tell everyone I know to get their insulin level checked, but most people live in a state of denial - i'll pretend this isn't happening and ignore it as long as possible. I track all my food with My Fitness Pal app, it is really helpful.

Comment from: claytonokc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I am insulin resistant and have been for the past four years. I slipped a disk and then had a spinal fusion. I gained 100 pounds in three years after the back problems, and I had a brace to walk for almost a year. I have -- in the past two years -- lost 66 pounds and work out regularly for 45 minutes or more on my exercise bike. I have gone from eight pills a day to only one with diet and exercise. I have sleep apnea, and if I loose 40 more pounds, I may be able to get off the pills and CPAC. I have to watch and count everything I eat and I am working for that goal.

Comment from: mis-diagnosed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am 26 years old and was just diagnosed with insulin resistance. When I was 16, I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and congential adrenal hypoplasia. I was told that I would not be able to have kids and that I needed to wear a medical tag for the adrenal stuff. I have gone for 10 years now, not knowing that I had the insulin resistance and thinking that I could not have children. I found out all I have to do is exercise, watch carbohydrates and take Metformin and it will all be better. Metformin gives me diarrhea and emotional ups and downs, but I am trying to hang in there with it because my doctor said it is the best med for this problem. I also found out that I can have children; there is nothing wrong with my hormone levels for that. I have been obese, had skin problems, and excess hair like you wouldn't believe because I was mis-diagnosed. I could have had all this under control and probably had a child by now if I had the right diagnosis. I am still a little mad, but extremely thankful that I was finally diagnosed correctly. It has been about 2 months and I have been eating better, taking medications and exercising. I have lost 20 lbs. I just hit the 20 lb. mark today. I have looked back at all the signs and symptoms I have had over the years and wonder why nobody found this earlier. I have eaten so many carbohydrates over the years because I have had such an intense craving for them. It was nothing for me to sit and eat 3 or 4 candy bars in one setting, bread balls (gross huh), anything that had sugar and carbohydrates. I have trouble going to sleep and getting up in the mornings, trouble with fatigue. I do have a lot more energy and I am a lot happier as long as I don't have more carbohydrates then I am suppose too. I tend to get a little emotional and cranky if I sneak some extra carbohydrates. I just hope that people will read this and see if it sounds like them and maybe get help before something serious occurs.

Insulin Resistance - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your insulin resistance?
Insulin Resistance - Causes Question: What do you suspect or know was the cause of your insulin resistance?