Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was recently diagnosed insulin resistance. It came as quite a shock. I have yearly physicals & my blood work was always excellent. Well, of course my fasting sugar was normal - but my pancreas was working overtime to get it there. I went to a nutritionist because I always felt that I couldn't lose weight and steadily, but on 10 pounds a year for 6 years. So glad that I went to see the nutritionist. I would have been in the dark until I actually had diabetes. I chose to alter my diet & not take medication. My intake of sugar is around 20g per day. I am working on increasing my protein intake. It's been a little over a month, and I'm not craving sugar (did not add any artificial sweetener either), working on getting carbs even lower although I have given up most bread products. I will get wheat if I need to. I am exercising regularly now. The diagnosis sufficiently scared me to turn me around. My mother is diabetic and obese, my grandmother is diabetic and has health issues related to diabetes. I don't want to be on medications for the rest of my life. My nutritionist believes that I will get the insulin resistance under control. I miss fruit and Starbucks, but living longer is more important. I wanted to tell everyone I know to get their insulin level checked, but most people live in a state of denial - i'll pretend this isn't happening and ignore it as long as possible. I track all my food with My Fitness Pal app, it is really helpful.

Comment from: Suzya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance a couple of years ago. However, what was I was not told was how bad it could be. What all the symptoms were. What foods I should avoid. I was prescribed Metformin however this made me sick and therefore went off it. When I was in my late teens I went to a hormone specialist and was told that I would have problems becoming pregnant and that I would always be overweight and there was not a lot I could do about it. I believe that all along I have been Insulin Resistance. As a teenager I was extremely active exercising up to 3 hours a day yet still had the belly. I also have dirty spots on my elbows and back of the next and a few skin tags. What I would like to know is if there is a way to avoid being insulin resistant or is it part of your makeup. I have 3 kids and while at the moment they are all fit and in healthy weight ranges I want to know if there is anything I should be avoiding? Does eating lots of white bread, pasta etc cause it? Insulin Resistance is very unknown and I believe more studies need to be carried out in this area.

Comment from: Fred, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Hi my experience with insulin resistance first happened when I was at a good weight then all of a sudden my weight went up 1kilo a day till I weighed 89 kilos.It was finally diagnosed.I was on glucophage XL for quite a while then the endocrinologist said 3 tablets of glucophage was not enough he wanted me to go up to 2500mg but that made me vomit, so went on Victosa for a month which really helped weight loss but the frightening side effects made me quit, now back on 2000mg of glucophage, too early to see if I will now loose weight again we wait and see. at the present I am 75 kilos but wanting to be 65 .Blood tests say I am too high yet.I do use accu-chek as well to monitor levels.

Comment from: pj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

Recently, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance (IR). I was prescribed metformin. I've read reviews about it, and it appears to be the safest to take as a diabetic med. I am also vitamin-D deficient, so I take a supplement once a week (50,000 units). I hate taking pills, as I read about so many risks. I need to get past my concern for all these meds. My parents are both deceased – my mother had breast cancer and my father had COPD. My sister has diabetes and my brother has high blood pressure. I just recently got a job so that I could get health insurance. I am having problems, as I am up to 300 pounds.

Comment from: mis-diagnosed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am 26 years old and was just diagnosed with insulin resistance. When I was 16, I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and congential adrenal hypoplasia. I was told that I would not be able to have kids and that I needed to wear a medical tag for the adrenal stuff. I have gone for 10 years now, not knowing that I had the insulin resistance and thinking that I could not have children. I found out all I have to do is exercise, watch carbohydrates and take Metformin and it will all be better. Metformin gives me diarrhea and emotional ups and downs, but I am trying to hang in there with it because my doctor said it is the best med for this problem. I also found out that I can have children; there is nothing wrong with my hormone levels for that. I have been obese, had skin problems, and excess hair like you wouldn't believe because I was mis-diagnosed. I could have had all this under control and probably had a child by now if I had the right diagnosis. I am still a little mad, but extremely thankful that I was finally diagnosed correctly. It has been about 2 months and I have been eating better, taking medications and exercising. I have lost 20 lbs. I just hit the 20 lb. mark today. I have looked back at all the signs and symptoms I have had over the years and wonder why nobody found this earlier. I have eaten so many carbohydrates over the years because I have had such an intense craving for them. It was nothing for me to sit and eat 3 or 4 candy bars in one setting, bread balls (gross huh), anything that had sugar and carbohydrates. I have trouble going to sleep and getting up in the mornings, trouble with fatigue. I do have a lot more energy and I am a lot happier as long as I don't have more carbohydrates then I am suppose too. I tend to get a little emotional and cranky if I sneak some extra carbohydrates. I just hope that people will read this and see if it sounds like them and maybe get help before something serious occurs.

Insulin Resistance - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your insulin resistance?
Insulin Resistance - Causes Question: What do you suspect or know was the cause of your insulin resistance?