- Type 2 Diabetes Warning Signs
- Dieting for Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
- Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience
- Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Causes
- Find a local Endocrinologist in your town
- Insulin resistance facts
- What is insulin resistance?
- What causes insulin resistance?
- What is the relationship between insulin resistance and diabetes?
- What medical conditions are associated with insulin resistance?
- Who is at risk for insulin resistance?
- How is insulin resistance diagnosed?
- How is insulin resistance managed?
- Lifestyle changes (diet, weight loss, exercise)
- Medications for insulin resistance?
- What's new in insulin resistance?
Quick GuideHealthy Eating: The Truth About Sugar Addiction
What's new in insulin resistance?
Over the past decade, insulin resistance has gained significance, in its own right, as a contributor to the metabolic syndrome. Timely intervention can delay the onset of overt type 2 diabetes. Future studies must assess longer intervals than research to date in order to determine the duration for treatment to prevent the development of type 2 diabetes and related complications.
Lifestyle changes (in nutrition and physical activity) are clearly important to delay the development of type 2 diabetes in individuals with insulin resistance and are the primary recommendation for prevention of diabetes in high-risk individuals. Metformin is the only drug recommended by guidelines, for those patients at highest risk. Education about these changes must be directed to all groups at risk for type 2 diabetes. Childhood obesity is epidemic and on the rise in the developed countries. Changes must be made in homes and school cafeterias to ensure healthier nutrition.
Medically reviewed by a Board-Certified Family Practice Physician
MedscapeReference. Insulin Resistance.
National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC). Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)
National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC). Insulin resistance and prediabetes.