What are the symptoms of diabetes?
Symptoms of diabetes include
- Increased urine output
- Excessive hunger
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Unexplained weight loss
- Excessive thirst
- Excessive urination
- Excessive eating
- Poor wound healing
- Some types of infection
- Altered mental status
- Blurry vision
What are examples of insulin preparations available?
Examples of rapid acting insulin
- Apidra (insulin glulisine): Supplied in a cartridge, vial, prefilled pen (Solostar)
- Novolog (insulin aspart): Supplied in a cartridge, vial, prefilled pen (FlexPen)
- Humalog: (insulin lispro): Supplied in a cartridge, vial, prefilled pen (Kwik Pen)
Examples of short acting insulin
- Novolin R, Humulin R (regular insulin): Supplied in a vial
Examples of intermediate acting insulin
- Humulin N, Novolin N (NPH): Supplied in a vial, pen (Humulin N pen)
Examples of long acting insulin
- Lantus (insulin glargine): Supplied in a vial, cartridge (OptiClick), prefilled pen (Solostar)
- Levemir (insulin detemir): Supplied in a vial, prefilled pen (FlexPen)
For what type of diabetes is insulin prescribed?
Indications for insulin
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Insulin resistance
- Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA)
- Gestational diabetes
- Diabetes treatment during pregnancy
Quick GuideType 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.