Patient Comments: Insomnia - Medications

What medications have you taken to relieve your case of insomnia? Please relate your experience.

Comment from: Fat Controller, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I have had chronic insomnia for over 15 years. At the time I was a metropolitan passenger train driver. Two years into my insomnia, after trying a broad range of medications including a host of anti-depressants, of which none worked. I was on an early morning train run when I "grayed out" arriving at the destination station and had a low speed collision with the train in front of me. As a result of this I was sent to a neurologist and he prescribed Surmontil (anti-depressant) and it was a wonder drug for me. From the very first night of taking this I slept like a baby. That was 13 plus years ago and now I find that Surmontil is no longer available and I have to try with the help of my doctor to find a new drug. It's not going to be easy; I tried the first 1 last night and managed only 2 hours sleep. I am now a Train Controller with more regular hours than when I was driving but if a solution isn"t found then I may have to quit.

Insomnia - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective with your case of insomnia?
Insomnia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with insomnia.
Insomnia - Causes Question: What caused your insomnia?
Insomnia - Sleep Hygiene Question: Describe the types of sleep hygiene you practice to treat insomnia. What works for you?
Insomnia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with insomnia?
Insomnia - Non-Medical Treatments Question: What non-medical treatments have been effective for insomnia?