Patient Comments: Insomnia - Treatment

What treatments were effective with your case of insomnia?

Published: January 19

I have had chronic insomnia for years now. Have tried almost every sleeping pill and natural method there is. Some would work for a while and then stop. I have very chronic pain due to lumbar fusion and just very recently a cervical 2 level fusion. My doctor put me on 25 mg Elavil(amitriptyline) at bedtime. At first I slept so hard I was having trouble waking up in the morning. (this was actually given to me for nerve pain) But I continued to take it. After 2 weeks it had tapered off and I wasn't sleeping as good. He recently increased my dosage to 75 mg and I am sleeping all night and can still function in the day! So as of right now, I love it!

Comment from: paigers, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have chronic insomnia where I go a few days without sleep. Normally I have issues initiating sleep, but I take a dose of melatonin and Benadryl, which helps me fall asleep within an hour. I have to take it eight hours before my desired awake time or otherwise I'd be extremely drowsy throughout the day. Sometimes the medicine doesn't work, and I wake up frequently during the night and early morning. I am definitely against sleeping pills because I don't want to have a physiological dependence or suffer withdrawal.

Comment from: DavidA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

For years I have had trouble falling and staying asleep or wakening and unable to fall back asleep. I have a particularly stressful job and I would change my circumstance if I could afford to do so, but that's not happening anytime soon. I am a coffee drinker and though I have quit and resumed many times, I never found that avoiding caffeine helped my issue. I also have mild depression and these days have had success in minimizing it. I take OTC antihistamine to help me fall asleep, and that works 80% of the time, but there are times where nothing seems to help. I have tried everything from prescriptions to melatonin supplements. Even recently I had a pulled muscle where the hydro-codeine painkiller could not even help me fall asleep. When I awake in the night I have mentioned jokingly to coworkers that the "committee" called a meeting to discuss all things worrisome.

Comment from: Peggy Foster, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

A lifelong insomniac, I tried everything, then made my own CD of music and guided imagery. I have accepted that I will always have this problem and I will usually get relief for a while from most everything I try, then it stops working and I need something new.

Comment from: lexy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

When I go to bed, I'm not sleepy, so I have to take Paxil two hours before bed and then two pills of lorazepam plus melatonin. I had tried in the past to lower the dose, and only take melatonin after stopping taking all others gradually. It had worked, but two or three months later, I started the process again. It is hard to go back to your normal sleep again, but I'm going to try once again.

Comment from: cori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I've had insomnia for more than a year. It seems like my doctor won't do anything. I've tried prescriptions and over-the-counter and nothing seems to help.

Comment from: colorado, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

Seems like the insomnia started when I went off estrogen about 4 years ago. I don't have sleep apnea but am on oxygen at night as I live at a high altitude. I'm on Trazodone for the side affect of sleep, but it only works for about 5 hours. I am active and try to tire myself out so I can try to squeeze 6 hours of sleep in. I am not able to nap, I don't drink, or smoke and don't drink coffee.

Insomnia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with insomnia.
Insomnia - Causes Question: What caused your insomnia?
Insomnia - Sleep Hygiene Question: Describe the types of sleep hygiene you practice to treat insomnia. What works for you?
Insomnia - Medications Question: What medications have you taken to relieve your case of insomnia? Please relate your experience.
Insomnia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with insomnia?
Insomnia - Non-Medical Treatments Question: What non-medical treatments have been effective for insomnia?