Patient Comments: Insomnia - Treatment

What treatments were effective with your case of insomnia?

Comment from: caprice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have a chronic insomnia for 30 years. I can fall asleep easily but wake up 2 -3 hours later. I have max 3 hours sleep, which is of course not enough. I have tried everything: relaxation, exercise, psychotherapy and many different medications. I have developed my own strategy that can maybe help some of you. I fell asleep about 11 PM. When I wake up and am absolutely unable to sleep again I take half (or even less) of the sleeping pill. Recently this is half of zolpidem (Ambien,Stilnox). It will work for 3-4 hours. So altogether I sleep 6-7 hours daily which is not quite enough but helps me to continue to work and live. But recently I feel depressed. I am so tired. I want to finish all this. The family doctor gave me Trazodon. It doesn't help to sleep. Always I am awake at 3am.

Comment from: Doeleane, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I could fall asleep very easily but I would wake up about 3AM and unable to fall back to sleep. Several doctors subscribed many sleeping pills, which I have been reluctant to take. Finally, one doctor told me to watch The Late Show, go to bed and wake up at a set time the next morning. I did this for several weeks and finally it all came together. I fall asleep at 11:30PM and wake up at 7:30 the next morning feeling good. It was hard to stay awake until 11:30, but I did it. This simple procedure was my savior. I hope someone else might find a simple remedy like this very helpful!

Comment from: bilbo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I am epileptic and a good night's sleep is essential, as I become more susceptible to fits. I am currently on 15 mg of diazepam and 20 mg of temazepam (per day) and they generally work well for me. I don't have to worry about nodding off during the day, as this doesn't happen. I'm in a better place now than I was a few years ago, thanks in large part of my GP. I've had her for the last 2 ½ years and she's great. Many thanks to her.

Comment from: micah, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

At about 11 years ago I just discovered that I cannot sleep when I was preparing for my school exams. Since then I have had this problem till now. It is on and off and during that time I used periactin to make me sleep. Now I am a medical student and I still have this problem. Sometimes I sleep at 11:30pm and wake up at 6:00 am but still have bad feelings. Sometimes I do not sleep at all. Sometimes I sleep for a short period and when I wake up I cannot sleep again. Now I do not take any sleeping pill.

Comment from: Jessie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

My treatment for insomnia is from my doctor is RAN-Zopiclone 7.5mg One tablet at bedtime. I have been on this medication for over two years. I can't get to sleep without it. Sometimes I only need a half pill, but if something bothers me, I need to take the whole one. I would love to be able to sleep without taking pills. I also take 20mg of fluexetine daily (in the am) have been on this for many years.

Comment from: jrcornwall, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

For me, the word 'insomnia' is detached from whatever the medical profession might mean by it. It is a way of life. I have been given, over the years, many 'psychiatric' labels ranging from schizophrenia, bi-polar, dysthmia and one or two others. I have been taking a cocktail of medications for more than thirty years including nitrazepam for my insomnia. After thirty years it is not unreasonable to expect that nitrazepam, at whatever dose, is no longer effective. Other medications have been tried including other benzodiazepines and the Z drugs together with antihistamines and circadian rhythm drugs and nothing has worked. Now, come each evening, I take ten different medications yet still manage only two to three hours per evening. The doctors I see are, understandably, reluctant to prescribe barbiturates even though in the past sodium amytl has been the only effective medication I have had.

Comment from: mikemcgrath, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 10

I started repeating a mantra in my head to fall asleep that works great for me. When I take a breath in I visualize the word "tired?" and when I breath out, the word "sleep," so while that is keeping my brain busy I also visualize the breaths as waveforms, as in sound waveforms that you see on recording visual devices, and that also calms me down and relaxes me. Hope this helps others.

Insomnia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with insomnia.
Insomnia - Causes Question: What caused your insomnia?
Insomnia - Sleep Hygiene Question: Describe the types of sleep hygiene you practice to treat insomnia. What works for you?
Insomnia - Medications Question: What medications have you taken to relieve your case of insomnia? Please relate your experience.
Insomnia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with insomnia?
Insomnia - Non-Medical Treatments Question: What non-medical treatments have been effective for insomnia?