Patient Comments: Insomnia - Causes

What caused your insomnia?

Comment from: shane73, 35-44 (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been sleeping an average of 5 to 6 hours a night for 30 years I am sure it's enough for my body to function. I am a chronic pain patient due to DDD (degenerative disc disease) and my sleep fell off to 4 hours or less in the past few months. I spoke to my doctor, he put me on trazodone, and gave me an extra oxycodone for bedtime. Now I am getting to 6 to 7 hours of sleep a night. Trazodone is non-habit forming, and seems to work quite well. I have tried all kinds of sleep medications, and hate them all. Trazodone works well so far and it is cheap to fill my prescription.

Comment from: Asad, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I have anxiety. If you continue to stay anxious and develop serious anxiety you are more likely to suffer from insomnia.

Comment from: Mustang sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Since childhood, I have had bouts of insomnia. I first took medication in high school and then again in my late 20s. Now I am dealing with excessive stress, am menopausal, and can't sleep without medication. I tried oxazepam, which did not work; trazodone, which worked for about a week; 10 mg of Valium which gave me an average of 4 ½ hours of sleep; and now am on 5mg of Valium and 25 mg of Elavil, which give me 6-7 hours of sleep. I weaned myself off Valium within a week of going from 7.5 mg to 0, and did not sleep for 4 nights and was feeling rage. My doctor advised taking 5 mg of Valium again with Elavil.

Comment from: cantsleep, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

I was up working split shifts: second shift, first shift and third all wrecked my sleep pattern. I have no medication. My job now messes with my visual concentration. I almost wrecked my truck and hit someone. You need eight hours of sleep – it's a “must.”

Insomnia - Treatment Question: Please describe your effective treatments with insomnia.
Insomnia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with insomnia.
Insomnia - Sleep Hygiene Question: Describe the types of sleep hygiene you practice to treat insomnia. What works for you?
Insomnia - Medications Question: What medications have you taken to relieve your insomnia? Please relate your experience.
Insomnia - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms of your insomnia?