Patient Comments: Insect Sting Allergies - Treatment

What kinds of treatment were used to treat your allergic reaction to an insect sting?

Comment from: Chris5596, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I am a Florida resident for 3 plus years. I have been stung by fire ants about 4 times over the last couple of years and each time the after effects got worse. The last time so bad (anaphylaxis) with symptoms appearing within 2 minutes of the bite, difficulty breathing, cold sweat, shaking, vomiting and fever, the whole thing lasted about 4 hours. I went to the doctor who told me to buy an EpiPen and carry it at all times. He then referred me to a local allergy treatment center. I have just started immunotherapy treatment consisting of regular injections the first of which was about 3 days ago with no after effects. The 2nd one today however caused a symptom similar to what follows a bite - mainly shortness of breath, luckily I was still at the clinic and they checked blood pressure and so on, it finally subsided after about 15 to 20 minutes. A blood sample has been taken and I am awaiting the results. This whole thing with the allergy to insect stings has changed my life as I never had to bother about it before moving to Florida.

Comment from: insect hater, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was stung last weekend while working in my garden. Within 15 minutes the area swelled to a diameter of 12 inches. After that I had hives on the back of my head and neck, ears, and under armms, followed by nausea and itchy red eyes. I took benedryl and aleve, jumped into a cool shower and used ice packs on the bite are. The hives went away within 2 hrs, but the localized swelling and pain stayed for 48 hrs. I continued using benadryl and aleve for that time period.

Insect Sting Allergies - Symptoms Question: Did you have an allergic reaction to an insect sting? What were your signs and symptoms?