Patient Comments: Insect Sting Allergies - Symptoms

Did you have an allergic reaction to an insect sting? What were your signs and symptoms?

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was stung by a yellow jacket on my middle finger 6 days ago. Within just a few minutes, I was sweating, vomiting and was so weak it was hard to stand. I took a Benadryl, but threw that up too. This is the second time within a year this has happened to me. The first time I ended up in the emergency room.

Comment from: Mary, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Got stung by some kind of bee or wasp om the back of my neck 7 days ago don't think I got the stinger out I have had some swelling and redness and severe pain in the neck and some. Burning. A lot of stiffness. Doctor gave me some antibiotics for a bacterial infection not helping.

Comment from: Bugaphobe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am allergic to bee stings and have epi-pen. I was stung by a wasp 8-17 on index finger tip at a softball field. Started feeling itchy and tingling in mouth, nose & throat with tightness in chest and little short of breath, face flushed. I also felt my heart racing despite trying to stay calm. Took Benadryl and used Ventolin inhaler. Within 10-15 min no improvement so I used epi-pen and went to the ER. They gave me IV fluids, Solu-Medrol, Pepcid and a Tetanus shot. Iced and elevated the finger where stung. Evaluated me for 2hrs and my symptoms subsided and when I was able to eat and drink without difficulty I was discharged and sent home with a prescription for 4 days of steroid treatment along with epi-pen refills. I need to follow-up with my primary care.

Comment from: Sbc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

i had a bee sting about 10 days ago and broke out with hives about 2 days ago. The back of my neck was one big welt. My right hand turned blood red. And had hives popping out on my body. Also had indigestion and some coughing. I was bitten on left side of my shoulder. I guess i had delayed reaction to bee sting. Went to doctor he gave me predisone and claritin. The swelling has gone down. My question is Is the meds masking the problem or will the poison stay in my bloodstream?

Insect Sting Allergies - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment were used to treat your allergic reaction to an insect sting?