How does Inositol work?
Inositol might balance certain chemicals in the body to possibly help with conditions such as panic disorder, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and "polycystic ovary syndrome."
Are there safety concerns?
Inositol seems to be safe for most adults. It can cause nausea, tiredness, headache
, and dizziness
Inositol might be safe when used in the hospital for premature infants with acute respiratory distress syndrome.
Do not take inositol if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You have a condition called bipolar disorder.
Dosing considerations for Inositol.
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For panic disorder: 12 to 18 grams per day.
- For obsessive-compulsive disorder: inositol 18 grams per day.
- For treating symptoms associated with polycystic ovary syndrome: D-chiro-inositol 1200 mg per day.
- For treating lithium-related psoriasis: 6 grams daily.