Patient Comments: Ingrown Toenail - Treatments

What home remedy treatments were effective for your ingrown toenail?

Comment from: LaurenSmith1095, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I was 17 years old when I went to a doctor who specializes in feet. He gave me four shots in my toe to numb it, then he cut a strip of the toenail on both sides. After a few hours when I came home, I was in so much pain and it was bleeding because the numbing wore off. Then after a few weeks, it began to heal and I felt less pain than before. I am now 18 years of age and my toe is perfectly fine, but it just looks odd without the sides.

Comment from: duchessherri, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

First I poked a small bit of sterile cotton under the nail's inside corner edge where it hurt. I changed the cotton frequently as I let my nail grow out much longer than usual. I then cut the nail straight across. I keep telling the pedicurist not to cut the toenail into a curve but she must still cut down into that corner. I have this problem maybe twice a year.

Ingrown Toenail - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ingrown toenails.
Ingrown Toenail - Causes Question: What caused your ingrown toenails?
Ingrown Toenail - Doctors Question: What type of doctor did you see for your ingrown toenail?
Ingrown Toenail - Surgery Question: Did you have a surgical procedure for your ingrown toenail? Please share your story.
Ingrown Toenail - Prevention Question: If you're prone to ingrown toenails, how do you try to prevent a toenail trauma or injury?