influenza nasal vaccine Index
Influenza vaccine live, intranasal (generic names); FluMist, FluMist Quadrivalent (brand names) is a nasal vaccine prescribed to protect against infection with the influenza virus which causes "flu." FluMist contains live influenza virus that has been weakened, to cause minimal to no flu symptoms. Influenza strains change from year to year, so a new influenza vaccine must be created annually to protect against the new strain of influenza viruses. FluMist is administered shortly before the flu season begins. FluMist contains three flu virus strains (two type A viruses and one type B virus). FluMist quadrivalent has four virus strains (two type A viruses and two type B viruses). FluMist and FluMist Quadrivalent do not prevent 2009 H1N1 (swine flu) viral infection. FluMist is prescribed to prevent influenza viral infections in people between the ages of 2 to 49 years. Side effects, drug interactions, dosage, and pregnancy safety information should be reviewed with your doctor prior to taking FluMist or FluMist Quadrivalent.
Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human,...learn more »
In This Article
Swine Flu Article
- Swine flu (H1N1 and H3N2v influenza virus) facts
- What is the swine flu?
- How is swine flu transmitted? Is swine flu contagious?
- What is the incubation period for swine flu?
- What is the contagious period for swine flu?
- How long does the swine flu last?
- What causes swine flu?
- Why is swine flu now infecting humans?
- What are swine flu symptoms and signs?
- What tests do health-care professionals use to diagnose swine flu?
- What types of doctors treat swine flu?
- What is the treatment for swine flu?
- What is the history of swine flu in humans?
are the risk factors for swine flu?
- Can swine flu be prevented with a vaccine?
- Can swine flu be prevented if the swine flu vaccine (or other flu strain vaccines) is not readily available?
- Are there home remedies for swine flu?
- Was swine flu (H1N1) a cause of an epidemic or pandemic in the 2009-2010 flu season?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) and complications for patients who get swine flu?
- Where can I find more information about swine flu (H1N1 and H3N2v)?
Norovirus infection causes stomach flu, or gastroenteritis. It's a very contagious illness with symptoms that include nausea and...learn more »
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...learn more »
In This Article
Flu (Influenza) Article
- Flu (influenza, conventional, H1N1, H3N2, and bird flu [H5N1]) facts
- What is flu (influenza)?
- Flu vs. cold
- Flu vs. food poisoning
- What are the causes of the flu (influenza)?
- When does flu season begin and end?
- What are flu (influenza) symptoms in adults and in children?
- Does a child's first flu infection help to determine the patient's lifelong risk to other viruses?
- What is the incubation period for the flu?
- How long is the flu contagious, and how long does the flu last?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose the flu (influenza)?
- How does flu spread?
- What is the key to flu (influenza) prevention?
- Are there any flu shot or nasal spray vaccine side effects in adults or in children?
- How effective is the flu vaccine?
- Why should the flu (influenza) vaccine be taken every year?
- What are some flu treatments an individual can do at home (home
- What types of doctors treat the flu?
- What medications treat the flu?
- What can people eat when they have the flu?
- When should a person go to the emergency department for the flu?
- Who should receive the flu vaccine, and who has the highest risk factors? When should someone get the flu shot?
- What is the prognosis for patients who get the flu? What are possible complications of the flu?
- Can the flu be deadly?
- What is the bird (avian) flu?
- Do antiviral agents protect people from the flu?
- Is it safe to get a flu shot that contains thimerosal?
- Where can people find additional information about the flu?
In This Article
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments Article
- Facts about cold, flu, and allergy treatments
- Introduction to cold, flu, and allergy treatments
- What are the differences between allergy, cold, and flu symptoms?
- What are the different types of medications for headaches, body aches, fever, and flu-like symptoms?
- Nasal congestion, sneezing, and runny nose
- Sore throat and other symptoms
- What about vitamin C and zinc?
- What are some important considerations for the safe use of OTC products?
In This Article
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza, Avian Flu) Article
- Bird flu (avian flu) facts
- What is bird flu?
- What causes bird flu?
- What are risk factors for bird flu?
- Is bird flu contagious?
- What types of specialists treat bird flu?
- What are bird flu symptoms and signs?
- How do physicians diagnose bird flu?
- What is the treatment for bird flu?
- What are the complications of bird flu?
- What is the prognosis of bird flu?
- Is it possible to prevent bird flu with a vaccine?
- Where can people find more information about bird flu?