Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects

Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?

Comment from: Mk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Day 1 evening time after flu vaccine, my chest started to feel congested and a cough developed and a little bit of a runny nose. Day two coughing was more severe and I had light body ache. On day three I had low grade fever, severe fatigue, severe body ache, chills, and sweating and coughing my head off. Day four was the same. Day five was worse, all the above symptoms but more severe, plus weakness and feeling faintish. I went to the doctor he said I have acute bronchitis and put me on Z-Pak, an inhaler and steroid medicines. I had a terrible night. Day 6 is the same, the body ache isn't as bad but everything else is the same.

Comment from: Fiona, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had the flu vaccine over 3 weeks ago and since then all my muscles in my arms are sore and I have a very bad pain in my shoulder blade and blisters in my mouth that just won't go away. I feel so under the weather. My doctor doesnt think it is related but I have never felt so bad before.

Comment from: Nancy K, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 12

This is the second seasonal flu vaccination that I received that has given me optic neuritis in my right eye 5 days post vaccination. For the seasonal flu vaccinations I had received prior to the past two, I had no side effects other than the minor side effects of sore arm, muscle aches and some fatigue.

Comment from: Diana Peery, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I received the swine flu vaccine, and since then I have had so many hormonal changes to my body. I now have hypothyroid, high cholesterol, psoriatic arthritis, and fibromyalgia. Thankfully I am now taking back my life with natural products that have already helped me to get off of my cholesterol medication, and lower my thyroid medication. My arthritis and fibromyalgia is also getting better as well. Mercury poisoning causes all of these conditions, but I found a way to get better.

Comment from: worried Mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My 7 year old got the flu shot on October 24th. Since that day my baby boy has had fevers of up to 103.9 and I'm lucky to get it down to 100. Right now its 4 AM and I have to keep waking up every two hours to check his temperature and keep track of it. He not only has the fever he has severe leg pain, chills, cough, stuffy nose and night sweats. Tomorrow he has his 5th doctor appointment and then the next day he has to have his heart checked to make sure he is okay. They say they don't know why or what is the reason why all this is happening to him. He has missed gymnastics and is now out of basketball. Today is 11/14/13 and I want my son to get better.

Comment from: Mollymoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have burning tongue syndrome, a terrible disease where your tongue literally 'burns' all the time. It feels as though you've burnt your tongue but the pain never subsides. I have had this problem for approximately 10 plus years. It causes depression, anxiety, and weight gain as the pain feels better on a full stomach. I take hydrocodone twice daily, gabapentin 3 times a day, Protonix, Xanax for anxiety and Cymbalta for the depression. Regardless, I still have pain. It is a little known disease, with little known causes and treatments. Salty foods help along with frozen drinks. Good luck to anyone who has this terrible plight.

Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms Question: Please describe your flu symptoms.
Flu (Influenza) - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies and/or over-the-counter treatments have helped your flu symptoms?