Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects

Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?

Comment from: Mollymoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have burning tongue syndrome, a terrible disease where your tongue literally 'burns' all the time. It feels as though you've burnt your tongue but the pain never subsides. I have had this problem for approximately 10 plus years. It causes depression, anxiety, and weight gain as the pain feels better on a full stomach. I take hydrocodone twice daily, gabapentin 3 times a day, Protonix, Xanax for anxiety and Cymbalta for the depression. Regardless, I still have pain. It is a little known disease, with little known causes and treatments. Salty foods help along with frozen drinks. Good luck to anyone who has this terrible plight.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I had the 2012 Southern Hemisphere flu shot here in South Africa over a week ago (9 March). Now all of my muscles are stiff and aching and I have had a bad back-ache. Temperature is up to 38C. Ears are blocked and eyes are itching. I have had the flu shot annually, but never reacted like this before. A codeine/ibuprofen pill gives great relief, but I think this has gone on too long now.

Comment from: Deborah.Grove, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had my first flu shot in about 3 years and about 6 hours later my legs and back were aching really badly. I developed a severe headache and was chilling so bad I was shaking. I ended up having a temperature of 102 degrees. I was so sick and don't ever remember feeling so bad. First time I've gotten the H1N1. Probably will never get another one. Too much of a coincidence.

Comment from: Lady Devil Dog, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

We just received our influenzas on yesterday 12 Oct 2011 here on base and later on that night I became feverish I took my temperature and it was 101 I couldn't eat, my whole body ached and I was dizzy....today 13 Oct 2011 I still feel the same way I'm not sure if I should go to medical or not but I have the worst migraine and my ears feel like they're on fire, my chest hurts, I feel off balanced and dizzy, my body still aches everywhere and i have no appetite.

Comment from: georgia, Published: October 11

I had a flu shot on a Monday, then did my customary three mile walk. I'd asked the practitioner who administered it if walking was ok. She said yes. On Wednesday I went out and from the start of my walk felt tired. By half a mile my legs were aching and I had to sit down on a bench about every fourth mile or so. My legs have been aching when I go up and down stairs and my arm where I got the shot first hurt like hell up and down my arm when I walked that Wednesday and it's still sore now. I'm not allergic to eggs so why the muscle aches? I haven't gone out walking since because I'm afraid I'll need help before I even half around the track. Never had the problem of my muscles aching so bad like this ever before!

Comment from: James, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

My husband received the flu vaccine in the fall of 2010 at about 3 p.m. At 8:30 p.m., he started to experience chills while watching TV. By 10:30 p.m., he was shaking uncontrollably with chills and was achy. He took a couple Tylenol and went to bed. He was still achy next morning. He stated he "will never" get the vaccine again. This is the first time in about five years he had a flu vaccine.

Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms Question: Please describe your flu symptoms.
Flu (Influenza) - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies and/or over-the-counter treatments have helped your flu symptoms?